Yet another.......Cooling

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by gumdigger, Jan 16, 2007.

1. gumdigger

gumdigger Geek

Hi
    My cpu hits 60-75 degree ish during video encoding. according to everest ultimate edition and bios.

i have a silverstone tj06 case and the fan used on my processor is the one supplied with my processor.

i am thinking of moviing to a new cooler that wont let the cpu go over 40 degrees no matter how much video editing i do. i dont overclock.

i also need a external temp sensor or a sensor built into cooler bcoz i feel my mobo doesnt show right temp.

but doesnt the processor have the temp sensor built onto the chip the how can it be wrong?

what should i do/?

may be the thermal paste will do the trick for a while but i have to keep applying but i dont like to remove my cpu fan because the clips are not that easy to put back on.

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Intel thermal management does not take video editing, probably the most laborious routines out there, into consideration. I am not surprised you reach those temperatures. Although with a dual core you would think it would not do that. Even for basic gaming the stock coolers are not normally up to par.

I would strongly recommend a better solution. You can get the Freezer 7 which is an unbelievably efficient cooler for the price. Get your self some serious thermal paste. This by the way does not need to be replace often at all. If your case supports it get in as many case fans as possible. It is no good expecting the CPU cooler to cool you CPU with already hot air. This will also help your Gcard keep cool.

Judging from your temps readings, it looks like your sensors are working fine. The freezer is a constant RPM cooler but believe me it does the trick.
    Check SpeedFan to see if it supports your mobo. It is a very good program and normally quite accurate.

3. gumdigger

gumdigger Geek

I dont think my winbond sensors are very accurate. After starting my computer after 2 hour of shutdown, then i went to bios and checkd the temperature started increasing from 42 degrees.

Can i get any exernal ones thermometers ?.
    Before i had to replace my motherboard because it showed some horrible temps. it use to hit 100/150 degrees. and the when i fealt the heat sink, it wasnt even hot.
    Ive started to think MSI boards are bit dodgy for temp readings.

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I know from SpeedFan that in some cases the wrong readings are caused by chosing the wrong type of sensor in the settings.
    However, you are refering to your BIOS HW monitor. To be frank If you have a good CPU cooler, proper thermal grease, enough case fans and no visible stability problems, I would guess that your system is running good temps. Have you ever tried to touch your heatsink while the PC is running?

My BIOS temps always say 40c+, even after 2 minutes of operation. Speadfan reads it at around 37-38. I hardley pay attention to temps now. I have Freezer4 and two 120mm fans. I will not be able to do more for my rig.... :O

A very good freind who does a lot of video editing is using a 3GHz prescott with stock cooler but loads of case fans. His system seems to run fine :confused: if a little noisy.

5. gumdigger

gumdigger Geek

Have a look at my case. silverstone tj - Google Image Search

I have 2 120mm fans, one sucks the air in and one lets it out. (wind tunnel)
    plus 1 60mm fan.

Aluminium case.

Just yesterday i put ArticSilver5. There is a little temp drop. but it will take time to show effects.

i have touched my heat sink its not that hot, but i dont know how hot 47-50 degrees feels.

6. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Although I fail to understand the benefits of this wind tunnel malarkey, I am really no authority on thermo-air-dynamics. If you can touch your heatsink and keep your finger there without recoiling and discomfort, I would say you're safe. Try to compare it to your underarms (wash first…) which is normally 36-37C. But like I said, if you get yourself a decent cooler like the AC Freezer or one of the Zalman flowers etc, make sure you use good thermal paste (arctic silver is very good, although I prefer Ceramiq as it is non-conductive) and good case ventilation, you are good to go.

Personally I would not bother with extra sensors for the simple reason that my system is already a mess and "all I need" is some extra wires. If your system does not show instability symptoms while editing, then you should feel confident. Maybe, to set your mind at ease, set your BIOS to throttle your CPU at a slightly lesser temp. Mine is set to 70C but I can change it….

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you don't have case fans installed, that's where I'd start. The key is keeping the airflow going. For best results, have the front fans as intake and the rear as exhaust. Any side fans should be intake, and any fans at the top should be exhaust as well. The Pentiums, especially some of the later dual cores did run hot.

Your correct in that modern CPU have a temp sensor. Occasionally, a motherboard may have an additional sensor around the CPU socket, although that's kinda unnecessary due to the temperature diode in the CPU itself. My impression is that these are pretty accurate as they're not calibrated based on a distance.

I've also heard about some Silverstone cases not being as good for air cooling. You're right that MSI may have some odd-ball temperature readings, although that's not been something that they've typically been known for.

8. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

definitely get case fans. my CPU runs up to 40 degrees load and 20 idle and ive got 5 case fans installed. downside is, all the hot air stays in my room, so my room is like a sauna!

9. gumdigger

gumdigger Geek

Alrite i am finding it hard to find a cooler for me.
    btw whats the difference between Freezer 64 Pro & Freezer Pro 7

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The Freezer 64 Pro is for the Athlon 64 family, while the Freezer 7 Pro is for all LGA775-based Intel processors.