Yet another RAM problem!

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by DavidNW, Jul 30, 2007.

1. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

My board just does not seem to be able to take more than 1 stick of DDR RAM at a time.

I of course, have 2 DIMM sockets (184 pin), but if I put, say, a 256MB stick in slot 1, and a 512MB stick in slot 2 - the PC just crashes with a BSOD (relating to memory failure - I think).

Both the afore-mentioned sticks of RAM have been throughly tested for errors (Memtest 86) and have come up clean.

My board's manufacturers claim that it can take up to 2 x 1GB sticks (1GB in each slot), so there should be no problem there. Any ideas? I'm starting to think that it might be BIOS related - but I've just updated that.

Thanks in advance,

David.

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

What speed(s) are the sticks of RAM your trying to use?

3. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Both are PC3200 (400MHz).

4. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

5. OnStock

OnStock Geek Trainee

No, new PSU does not give additional performance. If not enough power, your system just would not boot up and your PSU here seems not to be a problem. Some motherboards have issues when RAM take all its slots. I've experienced this too.

Try playing with your RAM. Leave 512 in the second, install to the first slot and see if you see anything like boot-up failure. If not, try to update your mobo BIOS. If that doesnt help, you might want to buy 1Gb stick and leaving one empty slot so you won't experience any problems.

6. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Thanks, OnStock.

I'm starting think I'll have to go for a 1GB stick, but I'll try your suggestions. I recently updated the BIOS, so I guess that's not the problem.

Oddly enough - I only have this RAM problem when I boot into XP Home - I can put sticks in both slots and have 768MB when I boot into Ubuntu, and everything works fine!

7. Dracos

Dracos Geek

i think that more than thinking of buying a new ram, you can try to find a new motherboard for your pc because it's the motherboard causing problem