A beep every thirty-seconds!

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by RA, Apr 26, 2005.

1. RA

RA Geek Trainee

When I plug the Alesis MultiMix 8 USB mixer into the PC and switch on the power, the level meter (that’s where you tell whether you’re getting any sound or not), flicks on a couple of lights at the bottom for a split second or two, approximately every thirty-seconds. It’s like I’m picking up radio or radar beacon signal. When I record music, it’s a loud beep in the recording every 30 seconds! I tried plugging the mixer into various electrical outlets through out the house and nothing happens. It’s only when I plug it into the PC! “Now Hear This!” (Navy lingo) When I plug the mixer into the MAC, its fine! No problems! So, it isn’t the mixer or the house electrical wiring, it’s the PC! And the MAC and the PC are both on the same DSL (Verizon) broadband home net-work! That line has filters on it for the five telephones that I have in the house. I was just wondering. Could it possibly be the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum sound card that I have? No, that doesn’t figure! I can record in Cakewalk Home Studio without any beep. OK, so what’s my question? My question is: does anybody have any idea how I can keep from getting the beep in the mixer when I’m recording, using the PC?
    Thank you in advance.

RA

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I think its the sound card that could be causing the problem, have you tried updating to the drivers for sound blaster platinum?

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

sorry about the late reply RA!

3. RA

RA Geek Trainee

Hi Sniper! Thanks for the reply. I found out what the problem was, but couldn't remember where I posted my question, so thanks for anwering! :) The beep was coming from an electrial surge in the USB port. I changed to another USB port and the beep went away! This happened to me on my Mac. The keyboard starting acting funny and I changed USB ports and the keyboard returned to normal. So the bottom line is, if you have anything connected to your computer thru an USB cable that starts acting funny, switch to another USB port. That may fix the problem.
    RA