Apple releases source code of Grand Central Dispatch

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RHochstenbach, Sep 14, 2009.

1. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Cool, Apple has released the source code of their Grand Central Dispatch technology. This technology is used to divide the system processes along all CPU cores. They are especially targeting the Linux community to implement this technology :)

Apple opens Grand Central; challenges impede Linux adoption - Ars Technica

2. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Woah, how uncharacteristic of them

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I think they want to fuel Microsoft's competitors with advanced technology to chase Windows back to the stone age :)

Just imagine that OS X 10.6 for $29 and free versions of Linux are more advanced than a $300 OS.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, if Apple wants to really expand their footstep, they need to make their OS more accessible. Frankly, while OS X is awesomely slick, unless it supports a wider range of hardware out of the box, it's very hard to ask me to switch. I probably would use OS X because it is a solid OS from what I've seen, but if I want something outside the Intel CPU + Intel chipset combo, I have to hack it. In the past, I would've considered it, but I don't have that time these days.

5. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

That being said, they will still have to work on security as well. There was that test around the time Vista was being popularized and Apple's latest OS was the least secure and the quickest to be cracked. It is just less widely used, so less attention is put towards it(as far as building viruses, etc for it).