ATI ALL IN WONDER 9800 PRO 128mb PROBELEMS

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by shomz, Nov 12, 2003.

1. shomz

shomz Geek Trainee

Does anybody else have any problems using the ALL in wonder 9800 pro. The video card works fine to display the monitor but thats about it. I have tried using it with games such as HALO and the system locks and the VPU comes up and says "VPU recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphic driver commands" this happens only after about playing 15 minutes of the games, it even happens with 3d screensavers from ATI, im not sure what the problem is, i have talked with tech support several times and they have been no help whatsoever. Ialso have tried using the TV function of the card and i get a black screen no audio or video. Im guessing my card is defective but if it isnt i want to know if there is something in my system that is just not compatible, because besides the processor the video card was probably the most expensive component in the system. here is my configuration any help would be much appreciated:

Asus P4s800 AGP8x
    Intel pentium 4 2.4 ghtz
    PC3200 DDR 1gb
    80 gb hard drive
    120 gb hard drive
    350 watt power supply
    2 case fans

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Have you tried disabling the VPU recover feature? If not, give it a shot and see if that fixes the issue. In the case that rather than 'VPU Recovering' your system just crashes, you know you either have a driver or DirectX problem or the video card may be bad. If I were you, I'd look into driver conflicts and potential DirectX problems before blaming the hardware, because they're almost always the true culprit.

(Edited for spelling)

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Another vote for the drivers. It may not solve the problem but it's certainly a good place to look at.

4. shomz

shomz Geek Trainee

I have updated all drivers, and have even reverted to some past drivers...One of the things i recently tried was disabling the AGP fast write in the control panel..i thought it worked...but it just provided me more time for another crash. Im guessing that i just received a bad card...im actually hoping thats the case cos if it isnt then i have to figure out what in my pc is cosing this problem if any. Im not sure if it would be a power problem but im running a 350 watt powers supply, and a computer store by is selling 500 watt power supplies for 50 bucks should i just go out and get one of those

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

If it's from a good brand, your psu should be fine.

To test the psu, you can strip the pc to its bare minimum(1 stick of ram, 1 hdd, etc.) to see if it works. Then you add one component at a time and see where it starts to cause problems.

6. will_fraser63

will_fraser63 Geek Trainee

I am having the same problem as the original post in this thread, did you ever find a fix for this problem? It is very annoying and very dissapointing

7. shomz

shomz Geek Trainee

ATI is working great havent had any problems

The Card works great now...after constant frustrations, i finally called up ATI support, they thought it was originally a conflict with the memory, but that wasnt the case at all...i just had a bad card. I bought an All in wonder card online and because i was impatient and just wanted the card the next day, i opted out for the company to test the card...it would have saved me a lot of aggrivation if i had them test it out. So i would recommend calling ATI and having them replace your card and have them test it out before they ship it out. Once i finally got a new card, it has worked great ever since...i can play halo for 5 hours at a time with out crashing...in fact i cant remember the last time it crashed..so it might just be a bad card...wip it out mail it to them and for the time being buy yourself a cheap video card save the receipt and when two weeks pass and you get your card back just return the other one. Good luck, to you i wish i had a quick fix to tell you, but this is just what i did...your welcome to get on the phone with ati and have them walk you through it, if you like, but this was my solution