Audio Stutter

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by alfapaul, Oct 16, 2005.

1. alfapaul

alfapaul Geek Trainee

Hi All,

First of all - great forum!!

Hope I'm posting this in the correct area. I have an audio issue which I've had for a month or so now and it's really starting to annoy me.

When playing mp3s (in any audio program) the sound frequently stutters and sounds like machine gun fire when it happens.

I use Winamp but this also occurs in Media Player, Nero Player etc. I used msconfig and disabled everything non-MS and all startup items. Audio still stuttered.

I checked the performance area on task manager whilst the stuttering takes place and the CPU level does not seem to be affected. It appears that the problem worsens the longer the PC is switched on.

There has been no change of any drivers recently and as far as I'm aware I'm using latest DirectX (9?) version as well as all OS updates.

I run the following PC:
    Athlon 2400+
    512MB RAM
    Jetway V600DAP board
    SB Live card
    ATI Radeon 9600XT
    Maxtor 80GB RAID HDD
    Hauppauge WinTV PCI Card

Please please please can someone steer me in the right direction as to what the problem may be or what I can check next?

Many Thanks
    Paul

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Have you installed the latest Drivers for your sound card?
    Also, Have you tested the onboard sound to see if it stutters?

3. alfapaul

alfapaul Geek Trainee

Just used the "update driver" link from System in CP and it installed a Windows driver. Then used Creative's AutoUpdate and it stated I have the latest drivers. My motherboard does not have on board sound (not sure that's a good or bad thing at moment).

Fingers crossed, I shall try playing some music now