Can you find the update files on your hard disk?

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Addis, May 8, 2004.

1. Addis

Addis The King

I'm using windows automatic updates but i wan't to be able to recover the update files on the hard disk so i can use them straight away instead of downloading them again. Does anyone now where it is and whether i can use the files to install manually?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

You can download the updates individually for manual update here. The most convenient way to update Windows is to do it before you even install it, by slipstreaming your Windows install disc. Sure beats service-packing it every time you must reinstall.

3. Addis

Addis The King

what is slipstreaming?

4. Anti-Trend

It's patching/updating a Windows install disc and reburning it. That way, when you install Windows from it, it's already pretty up to date. You might have to install 1-2mb worth of patches rather than installing service packs, DirectX, IE6sp1, etc etc. (See google link on above post).

Note: slipstreaming only works for NT-based versions of Windows, i.e. 2000 and XP Pro. As far as I know slipstreaming does not work with Win9x or XP-Home. It is also not possible with an OEM system restore disc, as that is not an installation disc but a hard-drive image.

5. Addis

Addis The King

Thanks. Can you give me a link or something where it tell me how to slipstream. Do you have to slipstream by downloading the update files induvidualy (using autoupdate)?

6. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

7. Anti-Trend

To answer your questions, I refer you to my first post in this thread. It answers both (with links!) :D