Can't identify problem with computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FranciscoRamirez, Jul 26, 2013.

1. FranciscoRamirez

FranciscoRamirez Geek Trainee

I am trying to fix this computer but I can't identify what is going on with it.

When powered on, it loads up to the motherboard screen and hangs in there. Touching "Del" to enter the motherboard menu (as the MB manual indicates) does not work; I can touch tab to ask for loading details, and the last lines that appear are:

Auto-detecting USB Mass Storage Devices ...
    00 USB mass storage devices found and configured.

Here is the information of the computer:
    MOTHER: Asus M3A
    PROCESSOR: AMD phenomX4 9750
    VIDEO: Geforce 8600GT
    It has one RAM memory of 2 GB and two internal drive; one holds the OS (windows vista) and the other is for data storage.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

pull the bio's battery out for 10 minutes then reinstall it.. Next start the computer and try to get into the bio's, If you can without any Problems, then restart again and either go into safe mode or normal mode..

3. FranciscoRamirez

I tried taking out the battery and changing some jumper configuration (for about 10 secs) that supposedly resets the cmos memory or something like that before. It allows me to access the motherboard menu the next time I power on, but when I select the "exit and save" option, the machine restarts automatically and nothing changes (it still hangs in the same place).

Now I just tried what you say and just took the battery off for 10 minutes, and then placed it again and turned on the computer. Again, it allowed me to enter the motherboard menu, but this time after restarting it loaded the OS!. However, when I tried inserting a usb stick to take some things out, the machine froze for a minute, and then the monitor went into stand by (as if it wasn't receiving anything from the computer) and it hanged there. I turned off the power, took out the usb stick and turned on the power again and went back to hanging in the motherboard screen.

Does this tell you anything about where the problem is and/or how to fix it?

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Ok! remove the Bio's battery again. wait 10 minutes and then reinstall... Next at at start-up tap F8 button to go into Safe Mode ... Once in safe mode let it run to see how it works.. This is either A hard drive problem or a stuck driver/ bad driver.. Let me know if it freezes up in safe mode...

5. FranciscoRamirez

It does not accept F8. After taking out and in the battery and powering on, the screen goes automatically to the loading details and last lines say (just after "00 USB mass storage..."):

Please enter Setup to recover BIOS setting
    CMOS Date/Time not set
    Press F1 to Run SETUP
    Press F2 to load default values and continue

Pressing F8 does nothing (either before or at this screen). F2 hangs the computer. F1 goes to the setup menu; after choosing "Exit & Save changes", the computer shuts down and restarts on its own, but this time it doesn't load the OS and gets stuck in the motherboard screen again.

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Ok, If the computer shuts down and restarts on it Own, Then I would say you have a Smart Virus...And They can be real hard to get rid of...
    This does not sound good..Most of the time In order to get rid of a Smart Virus, You will have to Wipe the hard drive and start from scratch..In fact On am going to start on a computer today that Is stuck into a loop..Starts up and shuts down..

7. FranciscoRamirez

I think I was not very clear: The computer shuts down and restarts on its own when I choose the "Save & Exit" option in the BIOS menu; not spontaneously when I am using it or during the boot.

It might well be the common way of restarting the BIOS has... ¿Does this still signal for a smart virus?

8. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Ok, What Hard drive do you have in the computer ? IDE or Sata ? What is the make and model of your desktop ? How long has this been doing this ?All computers have F8, But if it not showing, Then it might be a VIRUS.. Allot of times the VIRUS will disable F8 so your computer can't be fixed..
    BUT there is always a way..Do you have access to another desktop ?

9. FranciscoRamirez

I have two hard drives: both SATA, one holds the operating system and the other just holds data. Not sure if I understand what you are requesting correctly, but the computer is not standardized model, I putted it together myself with the parts I specified above (it also has CD drive and the source is OCZ 500W).

I do have another desktop (with linux, which should make it less likely to be affected by the virus), but sadly is a little old and I just checked that it does not have SATA connectors in the motherboard, just IDE. My father has one of those "all in the monitor" computers, but I doubt that would be of any use (and I am not sure he would let me use it even if I could). I can always go to a friends house and try whatever option you are thinking of in there.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot; the computer has been out of order for over a year now. Something curious is that after a lot of time of not using it, I once tried to turn it on and it worked (with some faults and problems) about two or three times before returning to hanging at the MOBO screen.

10. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Yea ! What you are going have to do is the following, Remove the hard drive with your OS on it, Then find another computer a host computer, Then Piggy back your hard drive on to the Host computer and fix all your Problems from there.. First run antivirus That is on the Host computer to scan your Hard drive..
    Next scan your hard drive with scandisk or a program called Hard drive Regenerator ... Then run some cleaners..

11. FranciscoRamirez

You mean to plug it in another computer as a secondary drive? Ok; also, I THINK (need to check with brothers) that the SO hard drive can be wiped clean without any problem. The "deposit" drive is the one that has all the important data. If that was the case, do I still have to run antivirus, then scandisk, then regenerator? Or just formatting the drive would suffice? (perhaps it would be a good idea to use the antivirus or scandisk anyway just to check that this was the problem...)

12. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Yes,Plug in on sata 3 or 4 plugin..Yes, You will want to run Antivirus and Scan disk for errors..You will want to fix any hard drive error before you even reformat, Plus you want to Defrag..

13. FranciscoRamirez

I will try this then. However: if the problem is in the HD, if I were to unplug it and then start the computer with say, a live linux CD in the CD-drive; shouldn't it start with no problem? (I think I tried a live CD but with the HD still connected and I am unsure about which was the boot order at that time...but if the boot order was CDdrive => HD, then it should have worked, shouldn't it?).

14. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Most computers Will not start if the hard drive is unplugged.. In the Bio's there is a setting for boot first, You will have to have it set to boot from cd first, then Hard drive..

15. FranciscoRamirez

But if I disconnect the hard drive holding the OS (I can leave or not the other just storage drive) and set the CDdrive as first in boot order...Should it read a live CD with no problems? what if it doesn`t do that?

16. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Yes, It will read the CD as first boot... But why do you want to disconnect the hard drive ????

17. FranciscoRamirez

I'm just looking for ways to check if that is the problem before trying to treat the HD; specially since finding a friend to lend me his computer is proving a little more difficult than I expected. As for that: would it be the same to do the scans and defrag using one of those "turn internal drive into external drive" kit? (SATA/USB adapter + feeding source: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PCABUSB...=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item232a0e5a3e)

18. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I have one of those, That is for fixing/repairing Hard drives... You can use that to fix Laptop/Desktop hard drive.. BUT if you notice it still plugs in through a USB port...