case, heat and 8800gtx questions

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by Horus, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Horus

Horus Geek Trainee

Hello everybody

Ive been searching for a new computer build and I´m allmost certain on everything...except for the case!
    I´ve been reading many reviews and at this time im inclined to the Thermaltake tsunami VA3000.
    The rest of the system will be an e6600, a P5B deluxe an asus 8800GTX and the PSU Hiper Type r 580W (is it enough?).
    I read somewere that the 8800gtx has some "heating problems" and some "size problems" :p so, I'm concerned about installing everything on this case.
    Do you think the 8800gtx will fit...can the case handle the heating and last, do you have any advice on other not very expensive cases?

Thanks in advance for any advice

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

I am not sure if it will fit, but its around 1inch longer than a standard ATX Motherboard, you might have to do some midification to the case to get it in.

The Hiper Type-R will be enough to run an 8800GTS, I dont know about a GTX, on another forum loads of people have been reporting that there Hiper Type-R's have been blowing up, some taking there whole rig with it too.

I should think the case can handle heat, the GTX obviously is gonna be hot, but the heat from the graphics card is exhaust out of the case, the 8800GTX and GTS have good coolers that pipe the heat out through the back of the case, the coolers are also heatpipe coolers too, the cooler on my GTS is silent nearly all the time, the GTX should be too, same cooler, just longer :)

3. Horus

Horus Geek Trainee

Hey, thanks for the reply

But damn, now you got me scared...I already ordered the hiper type R 580 and I dont want my new rig blowing up!!!! Can you please tell me where you read about these problems?
    I did a quick google search and found nothing.

Thanks again

4. Willz

I read about it on another forum known as overclockers uk, seems load of people have been having problems, but all I can say is, mine is rock solid :s

5. Horus

Horus Geek Trainee

Thanks for the help, all I can do now is try it on and hope for the best! :)
    Just received the case yesterday...I thought it would be bigger! Maybe I´ll have to open a hole in it for the 8800gtx hehe, lets hope not

6. Crom

Crom Geek Trainee

The Tsunami is a great little case, but I think you might have to mod the internal 3.5" rack a touch for that card. The card is 10.5" and the Tsunami leaves just enough room to install the motherboard. Unless you're running a Raid 5 setup you should have empty slots. I'm not sure how wide the card is at that end though. It may just sit nicely in there and have the front 120mm fan blowing right across it which would solve some heat issues.

-Crom

7. Horus

Horus Geek Trainee

I thougth that the case would be bigger, but its a nice one though, nice finish and overall construction...but...
    ... when you say "mod the 3,5 rack", you mean with a metal cutter? or are there other ways?:D
    Didint think that the GPU could end up closer to the fan, I was getting worried about the heat in cramped spaces...I hope it fits then.

Thanks very much for the reply...I hope this weekend the GPU will arrive and we´ll see if it fits!

8. Willz

It seems the GTX is 10.5" long, or 11.5", cant remember exatly.

9. Crom

Crom Geek Trainee

I looked up the GTX and it's 10.5". The Tsunami leaves very little room beyond the motherboard. It's easy to install because the drive bays are removable, but it really looks like a GTX would be pushing it. Check this review and you can see some pics with the MoBo installed and you'll see what I'm talking about.

As for modding the 3.5 rack, yes, probably need a little dremel work.

-Crom