CD auto insert notification question

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by skyman419, Jul 16, 2004.

1. skyman419

skyman419 Geek Trainee

where is the CD auto insert notification option in winXP?

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

right click on the CD Drive in My Momputer then select Properties theres a Autoplay Tab there! I hope thats what you are looking for?

3. skyman419

skyman419 Geek Trainee

yeah i know this, but actually i'm having a problem: when a CD is inserted in the drive it doesn't spins and it doesn't display CD label ("CD-RW Drive" is displayed and it doesn't change when i open a CD), and any type of CDs (music CD, CD with video files, program CD, etc) is not autoplayed. even if a CD has a autorun.inf (or similar) file inside, it's not executed when i double-click on the drive. the CD starts spinning only when i open it. how do i fix all this?

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Okay. Start > Run. Type "gpedit.msc" (no quotes). Then, expand User Configuration. Expand Adminstrative Template. Click on systems.

One of the options is "Disable Auto-Play". Double click to open it. By default it's not configured, but if you need to, set this option to Disable and apply. That should do it.

5. skyman419

skyman419 Geek Trainee

nope. still the same :( .

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Hmm...how long has it been doing this?

7. skyman419

skyman419 Geek Trainee

5 days ago replaced my old drive with the new one. at first, autoplay doesn't worked, but it displayed an icon of inserted CD (can't remember if it displayed the label, but probably it did). later i noticed that the icon and the label "CD-RW Drive" is the same for al CDs and autoplay doesn't work yet.

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

i presume that you can still actually access the data on the cd?

if not i would take the drive back as it is likely to be faulty. However if you are just experiencing name problems.. ignore this post! :D

9. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

check the jumpers?

10. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

You can also check your ide cables

11. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Remember, the master drive is at the end if the IDE cable, and the slave is in the middle. I would recommend avoiding the 'Cable Select' jumper setting, as this has been known to cause strange problems with certain systems.

12. skyman419

skyman419 Geek Trainee

OK. checked cables and jumpers, tried some variations, but it seems like the reason is not there.

is it a fact that there is no CD "auto insert notification" option (one of those with checkboxes) in XP? in earlier versions of windows it was (i really think it was... :confused: ) somewhere on drive properties, and if it was not checked, CD (and its label, and its icon) was not auto accessed on insert, but in XP i cant find it. maybe its somewhere in the registry? (maybe it's a "hidden option" in XP?...)

PS. my Nero Info Tool (on configuration tab) shows that autorun is off.

new PS. WOW :eek: :confused: . just checked if it shows off it showed off but suddenly it turned to "ON" in my eyes! and now everything works! that's really something very strange :sick: . however thanks for help and don't pay attention to this post... :swt:

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather