COOLER MASTER Centurion 5

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by Kastang, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Kastang

Kastang Geek Trainee

This is the link to my computer case, I build a new computer about a month ago. I really like the case currently. The only thing I dont really care for is it only has one 80mm fan in the front(over my HDDs.. I have 2 SATA, they run between 30-37c (is that normal?)), and a huge 120mm fan in the back.

Has anyone ever used this case and modded it? I was thinking of putting a 120mm under my DVD RW Bay, I only use one bay up there for my DVD Burner.. I think I could use that extra room. Would it be worth my time to figure out how to place a 120mm fan in there or would it not serve a good enough purpose?

Also, any other suggestions? Nothing too complicated though.. The only other thing I was thinking of, which really isnt a mod, is to figure out how to hide all the extra wires.. they are all over the place and quite messy.. and could possibly be restricting air flow.

2. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

im not expert in modding but id look out for some cable sleeving. that could neaten things up a bit.

3. Kastang

Kastang Geek Trainee

Thanks matt for the suggestion, that is actually what I am in the process of doing now.. I can home from school about an hour ago and have been working on it ever since. I opened my case and was VERY shocked to see how much dust was actually in it.. Its only a month since I build it(maybe a little more) but It has been running near 24/7 so I assume it is normal.. I cleaned out all the dust so far now I am in the process of managing the wires, I have a large bulk on unused ones zip tied up at the top of the case, and some smaller un used wires tucked in the back part of the case.. Im zip tieing everything for neatness.. It is looking very good so far.. I do have a few questions though..

1) On the front panel, there is a meshy fabric on the front of it, I assume it is a dust guard.. When I took it off, the part where the 80mm fan is was very dusty... would it be better to just remove the fabric to help improve air flow.. then I assume I will have to get my self on a monthly cleaning schedule.

2)On the side of my case.. there is an "Air Duct" you can see it HERE.

It fits over my CPU good, It also appears that It will fix a 80mm Fan.. Should I take the air duct off and replace it with an 80mm fan? I think I am going too.. I think it should knock a few degrees off of my CPU and be overall better for my CPU. I dont personally see anything wrong with doing this, im not an expert though.. you guys are ;) *I think I should have the fan blowing TO the cpu, right?*

3) I was planning on putting a 120mm fan on the front of my case under my DVD RW drive.. but I think that if I replace the side air duct with the 80mm fan that will serve good enough.

Any suggestions would be great.. Im really open to anything short of possibly damaging my computer or bringing a hammer to it ;)

PS I can post a few pictures of it when its done if anyone is interested.. Its nothing special but I think it looks good so far and can only get better.

Just an edit:

I took off the mesh, and I replaced the duct with an 80mm fan.. so far I do not see a difference

4. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

1) The fabric is there to try to catch dust so it'd be better to clean the fabric once a month than the whole case once a month.

2) doing that cant harm your pc. But the reason the duct is there is to get cooler air directly from outside the case to the cpu. if you remove that you may cool the ambient temp of the case but you'll not help cpu temps much.

How are you cleaning the case. If you have acsess to an air compressor then you can use compressed air to blow the dust off your PC parts without even touching them. this is what i have to do periodically and it works well.

5. Kastang

Kastang Geek Trainee

Thanks again Matt, I left the 80mm fan in overnight, and I noticed maybe a 1C difference in the temperature, and it was a little louder so I decided to take it out and put the duct back in it.