Desktop To Laptop

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by rob34, Dec 27, 2007.

1. rob34

rob34 Geek Trainee

I'm about to get a laptop to replace the desktop pc i have(space saving issue). First, whats a good one for under 350 quid. Its not for anything fancy, just general home use.
    Second, can i transfer all my stuff from my pc harddrive to the new laptop.
    Third, I have a security package that i installed a couple of months ago.(one off annual subscription).Can this be transfered across too?

Many thanks

From the pc nuby

2. Tech

Tech Padawan

Unfortunately Desktop Replacement laptops (that is laptops that provide almost the same functionality as desktop PCs) aren't cheap so for that money you'll be hard pressed to find one but of course you can by a perfectly good lesser laptop for that kind of cash.

You can also take a copy of your whole system that you're currently using and copy that to your new laptop. This will basically copy your entire hard drive and stick it on your new machine, however you'll need to use sysprep from Ms to change drivers so it'll work with different hardware.

3. rob34

rob34 Geek Trainee

Thanks. I sort of understand that. Could you give me some examples of laptops you recommend for that money? You completely lost me though on the part about "sysprep ms" or something or other???????

Thanks for your patience

4. Tech

Tech Padawan

Well, instead of simply copying your data files (the contents of My Documents) onto a disk and transferring them to your new system and perhaps using "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" to install the setup of your old system onto your new system you can copy the files, settings and whole OS at once, creating a single image file of your entire hard drive. The only problem with this is the drivers installed in your current machine will not be the same drivers needed on your new computer hence you need to use Sysprep which is a Microsoft tool designed to change the drivers, accounts etc. The reason I'm going through all of this is for your third question about your security app. If you copy the whole HDD I wouldn't expect you to see any problems with continuing to use that.

Individual laptop recommendations are, I'm afraid, beyond my knowledge as I've never bought one so I'll leave that to the other members. ;)

5. zeus

zeus out of date

To be honest for £350 you wont get much choice. Though I know id try and get a Dell laptop.

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Replacing a desktop for a laptop in my opinion is not a good idea, laptops are nice for some things, BUT you still have to have them plugged in , thats if you use them like I do. Plus there battery can cost some big bucks. Laptop parts are also allot higher than a desktop. Anyway this is just my opinion..

7. rob34

rob34 Geek Trainee

Thanks. I'm only a basic user though. I don't use it for work or anything like that. We just need the space in the lounge.

I managed to get a laptop now by the way.A Toshiba A200-1VO. Its got vista on it though so i probably wont be able to use any file from my xp pc when i've transfered the data anyway now.(which i now have to buy a transfer cable)

I'll have to start over i guess and buy the new works suite and a new printer coz that wont install either.(lexmark x1190 all-in-one).

Thanks everyone for responding to me on this thread.

8. lilies34

lilies34 Geek Trainee

congratulations! wow. you managed to get a toshiba with your budget and it's vista too!:D