DOS Bootdisk

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by harrack52, Jan 21, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I don't know if I'm in the right category but it seems right, anyway...

I need to create a dos bootdisk that include fdisk with large drive support and format on it. Creating one with xp is absolutely useless, I went on www.bootdisk.com and tried with DOS 6.22 but it doesn't support large drives and tried with 95, 98SE and ME but when I try to create the disk there's an error so could anyone please tell me how to make one ?

It is for someone who bought a computer and right off the bat it didn'T work, she sees the win 98 screen and then it freezes. The store did not give her any windows cd so I find it odd that someone tried to install it, she didn'T really try to repair it at the time and now the store has closed so I thought it was best for her to completely delete any partition and to format and then install whatever version of windows she wants (xp home).

EDIT: I just read a thread concerning a boot disk, it does not help me but reading it I realized I had posted this one in the wrong section, sorry about that.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You don't need a DOS boot disk for XP, unless you can't boot off the CD-ROM at all. (if you can't at first, check the BIOS settings).

As for your friends plight, do you know the specifications of it? Does it freeze up in the same place?

I've moved this thread to the proper place, too, so don't worry. It happens to the best of us.:)

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

for the specs I cannot be a 100% specific right now but here's what I know :

Duron 950 mhz
    PCI 3d Sound
    256 PC133
    Standard 20 gigs (probably not a western or a 7200 rpm)
    I think the video card is onboard and I think it's SIS but I don't know the model and am not 100 % sure about that

I do not know what the motherboard is as I've not seen the computer, we talked over the phone and she doesn'T know anything about computers.
    The list I just gave is the paper she received from the store so it is pretty incomplete, nowhere is it written the model of the motherboard on it.

And she was not clear about whether it always froze at the same place and I did not ask her actually - I should have - but from reading between the lines I think it always freezes at the same place, she sees the windows boot up screen, then the black screen, then the windows screen again and it freezes.

I wanted a bootdisk because I have never installed xp from scratch and using a boot disk is what I have always done and also because I do not know what is on that drive so I think it'S best for her to just delete the partition to make sure absolutely nothing is left before trying to install. After I realized xp'S boot disk was completely useless(in my opinion, don'T see the point in making a boot disk without fdisk and format on it...)I made her boot from the cd but from what she told me, it booted in the command prompt with cd support, it did not give her a choice whether she could install it or anything else.