DVD Not recognized BUT CD is

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Mack, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Mack

Mack Big Geek

I have a Artec/Altima DHI-G40 16X DVD/CD ROM. This problem is that it does not recognize any DVD's i insert in it. I bought is second hand on Ebay. At that time to it was a little difficult to initate the DVD but it use to work. But now it is totally dead.
    The funny thing is that the CD's work. I can still play games on it. I searched the net and found this one guy with the exact similar problem. Here is the link:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76335

He was able to solve this problem but i can't seem to understand his words. Maybe something technical.

shieber
    New on Forum

And the answer is. . .
    Well, it turned out to be something simple. but something that no one guessed.

A 20-wire cable had inadvertently been connected.

regards
    Mack

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

What I understand from that answer is that he had plugged in the wrong cable ???

So swap the cable with a known working one and see if it changes anything.

3. Mack

Mack Big Geek

IDE Cable??????

What cable are you refering to?
    If it is the IDE cable, then it is working fine because i have my second hard drive set on it as a slave drive.

4. Mack

Mack Big Geek

IDE Cable??????

Which cable are you refering to?
    If it is the IDE cable, then it is working fine because i have my second hard drive set on it as a slave drive.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

DVD drives have 2 lasers: 1 to read DVD's, 1 to read CD's. Basically, you've got a laser for the DVD portion, and the only real fix is to just get a new one. You can get one for $40 or so new at Newegg.