Hard Drive Not Seen in BIOS/OS

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by mirk, Aug 14, 2008.

1. mirk

mirk Geek Trainee

Hello.

I had a SATA hd go bad on me recently and stopped booting and being recognized in BIOS so it wouldn't load OS. I tried hooking the drive to another computer to see if I could salvage any data, but it's not found in BIOS when the SATA interface is turned on nor seen in Windows. That's pretty much the end of the road in most cases.

I tried putting it in the freezer for a while which didn't help either.

Now I've taken the drive apart, removed the actual disc and put it into another hard drive case to see if that would be able to find the drive ID but BIOS still doesn't see it. (when I put the other hard drive's disc back in, it works).

My question is whether you can actually put a hard drive's disk into another hard drive's case and have it work (if it's good).

Thanks.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

how long did you freeze it for

weird :confused:

well HDDs are actually manufactured & fixed (i think) in "clean" rooms" because even the smallest spec of dust in the wrong place can permanently kill a drive

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Are the SATA power- and datacable both seated correctly in both the drive and the power supply (some power supplies are designed to plug in the power cables in them). If so, try a different Power Supply.

If the BIOS doesn't recognise the drive, then it has something to do with either the data or power not connected properly. Even when the drive is dead, the BIOS should still receive information about the drive from the logic board (correct me if I'm wrong).

4. mirk

mirk Geek Trainee

I froze it for about a half an hour.

Would the read/write head go back and forth if the power wasn't working properly? Because it actually does in the bad drive enclosure (not like an external, but the actual hard drive chassis) and the good one.

When I first saw how clean the disc was, I figured they were done in a clean room. Not one spot.