Help Needed Regarding C-media Sound Cards

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by cliffyboro, Mar 5, 2005.

1. cliffyboro

cliffyboro Geek Trainee

hi to anyone who reads this and can help me. i have just installed a new 6 ch sound card but now i have restarted windows i cannot get back on. the win xp boot screen loads up then its just a black screen after that. i am now using a different os on a different hd but really need to be on my primary xp. my system has on board sound and i have tried disabling it in my bios but still no luck. any help would be great.
    thanks in advance :good:

---edit---

just thought u would say i can get into windows if the sound card is took out but that isnt really an option as i have just bought it and really want the good sound. by gettin into windows it might provide me with a way to remove my on board sound although ther is no option to remove or disable it in device manager so if anyone else knows another way to do it i would greatly appreciate it :good:

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

What is your current Power Supply?

3. cliffyboro

cliffyboro Geek Trainee

to be perfectly honest.... i dont have a clue
    the mains power supply?? if so then its 240v but you probably dont mean that

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Your power supply could be the issue. You may wanna try a different slot if you can

5. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Have you tried using the sound card in another PCI slot? Or even tried it in another system if possible?

There could many reasons to why it’s not working but since it works when the sound card is out, it would be a compatibility issue.

6. cliffyboro

cliffyboro Geek Trainee

i have now got the sound card working perefectly although its not with win xp. i am now using a stable version of longhorn which i repacked and nothing at all has gone wrong with sound card issues or with the os so everything is sweet now. thanks for your help :good:

7. cliffyboro

cliffyboro Geek Trainee

hi again. i have decided that although longhorn is sweet and was working pretty good, i have decided to go back to xp. now because i have done this i am having exatly the same problem when i install my sound card. when my screen goes black after the windows boot screen i need to turn my computer off and when i turn it back on it says windows did not load properly last time. if i choose 'last known good connection' it uninstalls my sound card but windows boots properly. i am then prompted to install new hardware again. :mad: couldi b having this problem because i have on board sound? i havnt installed it myself but in device manager there are things installed under the sound, video and game controllers tree. for instance 'legacy audio devices', and i am not given the option in device manager to remove or uninstall any of these. could my new drivers for my new sound card be conflicting with these drivers, and if so, how can i remove them? help is really needed and much appreciated. also i have tried it in different pci slots and it is still doing the same thing so i'm thinkin that it might not be a power problem. thanks in advance martin :good:

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Did you disable the on-board sound? If you didn't, there might not be enough resources and the on-board sound could be using the same resources the C-Media card wants to.

You also might want to reserve an IRQ---which can be done in BIOS. Reserve it for whatever PCI slot the sound card is in. That should fix it.

9. cliffyboro

cliffyboro Geek Trainee

i disabled the on board sound in the bios. is that what i needed to do? if so then im still having no luck. i'm not sure how i would do the irq thing u talked about. the card is in the first pci slot if thats any help. its starting to get really confusing now :confused:

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, if the on-board sound was enabled/disabled from within BIOS, yeah.

Without being specific to your motherboard, look for a menu that says PnP/PCI Configuration. There you should be able to find the PCI slots listed. Just go to whichever one is the one that your C-Media card is in. Change, save and exit. You may have to try it a few times to get it working right. After that, I'd wager to say you got a bad card.