How do I order the way programs start on boot up?

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Chris_, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Hello, I have come across a problem when just logged into my XP account which is: Sygate Personal firewall, and Norton Internet Security, are the last things to load. But, I have Gmail Notifier and MSN Messenger "fail" to login. This is because of my firewall being the thing that loads last. The overall startup isn't slow it's just getting annoying having to relogin once fully started up.

So I have been googling for a way to specifically order the way programs start up on boot up, and read one here which says write a batch file that runs the programs in which the order they are written, and then put the file in the Startup group.

I have been trying to create a batch file but don't exactly know many commands. Here's what I have tried so far, without success.

Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    CALL X:\Path\Of\File\.exe
    CLS
    EXIT
    If anybody knows a way how I can do this successfully, could you help me out?

Cheers,
    - Chris :x:

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

First off i personally wouldn't run Norton Internet Security & Sygate Personal Firewall together.. what a waste of resources! - Sygate will do a better job than Norton Internet Security will do, and with better utilisation of system resources.

Windows as far as i know automatically prioritises the loading of programs at startup, what i would do, is take note of each process starting at startup then goto start > run > msconfig (hit enter) now click on the "startup" tab, this is a list the programs or processes that are started and run by windows when you startup. Get rid of anything you don't need like Yahoo Toolbar, Quicktime, RealPlayer e.t.c these things will all load without the programs running in the background.

Also, remove Norton I.S and just run sygate personal firewall..

You've either got too many processes starting up at startup or (most likely) one of the processes is prioritising itself over anything else and is taking along time to load (most likely Norton I.S), and since Norton I.S is your firewall, if this takes along time to load, msn maybe already loaded and awaiting an internet connection, which isn't going to work without your firewall up and running properly, which is essentially been stopped by the one or two processes taking along time to load.

So find out which process is taking the longest to load or is using the majority of the CPU/Memory and remove it from startup or uninstall it.