IBM Thinkpad T40

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by swraman, Sep 26, 2006.

1. swraman

swraman Geek Trainee

I recieved a IBM Thinkpad T40, and it randomly frteezes. It is definatley a hardware issue, (formatted many times, and it just locks up no warning). It isnt the RAM, and I have ran all the diagnostics the notebook has, and it passed all of them.

It isnt the harddrive (ahthough I didnt think it was), so Im baffled as to what it is.

It freezes at random times, in Windows, in the BIOS, while formatting, just whenever.

Components I havent tested:
    -processor (Pentium M). Is it normal for the fan to switch off periodically for a Pent. M (~1.5Ghz)? THis does, and it seems a bit...bizarre, but I dont use laptops much.

Or is it just the mobo?

Any other ideas as to what it can be?

Thanks

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

RightClick MyComputer > Manage > Event Viewer > Application and also System Events...

Copy and paste the bad ones here...that might give us some help detecting problem..

3. swraman

swraman Geek Trainee

In the applications tab, there are 2 things, an Information for MSinstaller and an information for Winlog.

In the System tab, there are lots of tings, many Information "type" items for various tasks, "warnings" for Dhcp, and erros on w32 Time.

sorry I cant copy, paste, or screenshot it, every time I try to connect to my network (wored) it freezes.

This is a hardware problem...so I dont know what the Windows records will help in solving it. All the logs are relativley short because I formatted again yesterday. but it ma just be overheating...it is very cool in my room now (probably below 65-70, compared to teh 80s and 90s we have during the day), and it is running for a lot longer than it has before...As I mentioned before the CPU fan keeps shutting off after Windows Starts, is that normal on a Pentium M based laptop?

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Some laptop fans are designed to turn on and off when required. This helps to save battery life. If you are concerned about the fan or your CPU temps, you should download SpeedFan.

As Karni said, the events in the System Log might help us determine the problem. Windows logs hardware problems in there.

5. Karanislove

[​IMG]
    These are the two places where you have to find out what the errors are... You just have to look into the errors not info or whateva.. Double click on the error and copy it and then paste here...

6. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

[ot]Looks like you've got a few errors to worry about yourself, Karni :p [/ot]

7. Karanislove

[ot]
    I would have rectified if I would have given admin rights by my office admin... :doh:[/ot]

8. swraman

swraman Geek Trainee

As I said before, these are the contents of the 2 places:

The only errors are for W32 Time.

I am guessing both of these thiungs are because I can not connect to the internet.

And as I said, I can't copy and paste anything here. Maybe I should have been more specific about the problem...I can't do anything on the laptop; any time I tried to plug in a network cable into the machine, it locks up. And Even if I do nothing (just let it sit there), it usually locks up in less than 2 minutes. :(

(I use speedfan all the tieme during summer, great program to make sure my pc doesnt melt in the sumer heat :p )
    Thanks, Im hoping I can get this resolved without having to buy a new motherboard...I probably wouldn't if it came to that, I dont want to spend $250 to repair ssuch a mediocre machine.

9. Karanislove

Thats what required.... Double click on the error and if you cant copy paste that error, just write it on a paper and then type it... It wont be be long, just couple of lines...