MS ACCESS 2003 Question

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Mack, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Hi,
    I am trying to make a project for school which requires the use of access 2003. I have made the tables in the database but don't know how to do calculate fields.
    Here is an example. The table is called invoices and has the following fields

Invoice_Number, Amount_Paid, Amound_Due.

i want a person to enter Amount_Paid and the Amount_Due to be calculated automatically. For example lets say

Amount_Paid = 0
    Amount_due = 100

When the person enters 50 in Amount_Paid the fields become

Amount_Paid = 50
    Amount_Due = 50

Also later when he enters 50 again in Amount_Paid the fields Become

Amount_Paid = 100
    Amount_Due = 0

How can such a procedure be implemented in Access?

I would really appreciate if somebody could help me in this,...

Thank u

2. Addis

Addis The King

Can't tell you right away, but for my school Access project, a custom function I wrote was held in an Access module. but vb programming knowledge is required, and I'm not all too familiar with Access after all these months.

3. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Can the Expression builder be used to create this thing,...?
    If yes how,...?:O

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

having never used Access 2003 before i could be wrong, but in Access 95 / 97 you could either use VB or create a query (to create a custom view of the data of manipulate the data on a from, you could also use a macro, but with Access 2003 i could be wrong, cos my memory is getting worse as i get older, so this could be wrong, in query enter the source field
    Code:
    Amount_Due
    then in the expresion field i think you enter [Amount_Due] - [Amount_Paid] then you need a destitation field, so i think you would need the expresion
    Code:
     [Amount_Due] - [Amount_Paid] = [Amount_Owed]
    but don't take my word for it, cos i'm 5 - 10 years out of date, but it's something like that in Access 95 / 97

5. Mack

Mack Big Geek

ok I will try that and give u guys the feedback,.. In the mean while any other ideas are also welcome,..
    thanks regards
    Mack

6. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Where as I have assumed TotalAmount = 100 and AmountPaid = (Value you will enter). The coming answer will be your AmountOwed. You can Hide TotalInvoice textbox and set the AmountDue = AmountOwed. Myself seems little confused as I didnt understand the scenario properly but hopefully with a little bit fiddling with these things you will sort out your answer.....

7. Mack

Mack Big Geek

The scenario is quite simple, I just need to enter the invoice amount paid and it gets subtracted from the total invoice amount due, thus showing the remaning balance.

8. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

what you need to do is create a update query in access e.g.

Code:
    Update table_name SET total_value = total_value - [Please Enter Amount Paid]
    So when run it should ask the user to enter the amount paid and update the total.

9. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Yeah I can make an Update Query but the problem is that i want to use the web to enter data and with an update query I can't make Reports, Forms or Data Access Pages,...

10. Sniper

ah I see but I think you still need to create a update query but instead of asking for user input from within the query you refer to the form name and field to be used, assuming you are using access forums as the interface? since you don't mention which language you are using to connect to the database? I think the bellow is correct for access forms

e.g.
    Code:
    Update table_name SET total_value = total_value - form_name.field_name

11. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Tried it but its not working, perhaps i am doing something wrong,....
    Just to add to the burden,.. one more thing,.. How and where does one write triggers and check statements in access,.... I checked Access help but all it said was that inorder to create a trigger, one's database should be in an SQL server and access should only be used to connect and query that data. Its called a MS Access project,...
    So, any ideas on how to but constraints using triggers and check statements if one's database is in access as well.

thanks

12. Sniper