Need help choosing a sound card!

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by RA, Mar 31, 2005.

1. RA

RA Geek Trainee

Hi forum!
    I need a sound card for my PC running XP-Pro.
    Minimum Requirements:
    1. A 15 Pin female plug to accept the MIDI cable.
    2. Three 1/8” female ports to accept the 1/8” Orange, Green, and Black plugs for the 5.1 speakers.
    3. Two 1/8” female ports to accept the microphone and the synthesizer.
    I’d like a sound card that would compliment Finale or Cakewalk Home Studio 2002.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RA

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, the Delta 1010 would be more than enough card for that. They have 10 inputs and 10 outputs, hence the name. If you need even more muscle there's always the Delta 2020. Otherwise, I'm a bit out of touch with the latest studio sound cards. I'll get in touch with my buddy, who does stuff like that professionally, and get back to you. He may have some useful advice.

-AT

3. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

4. RA

RA Geek Trainee

Hi guys!
    I just returned the Delta 1010LT. It was way too much for me to fingure out. Even Bill Chin backed off. He installed it and that's all.To begin with, how was I to plug in the three plugs that I need with my 5.1 speaker system? Also, I would have to get a different MIDI cable! After reading some of the configuration that had to be, I gave up and took it back to Bill. He uninstalled the sound card and I sent it back this morning. The Delta 1010Lt sounded great with all the features, if you know what to do with them, but having all those cables sticking out the back of the computer was just too much! I need something mediocre, for a simple kind of a guy like myself! :)
    Thanks for the input. Hope there's more!

-RA-

5. Anti-Trend

If you just want something simple that can do MIDI and surround, there's always the Audigy2...

6. RA

RA Geek Trainee

My Internet just came back on.
    Audigy2 you say? Now that you mention it, that's what I had in the first place. I first noticed the quality of the sound wasn't quite as good as my SB Audigy "Platinum". Then the Creative Media Center disabled Norton AntiVirus, then I couldn't plug in the mic and the synthesizer along side each other because the 1/8" holes were too close together with the adapters on the 1/4" plugs. But since then, I have an Alesis MultiMix 8 USB Mixer. It can take care of everything I want to plug into it. I also downloaded AVG so, so it comes down to just the quality of sound on the Audigy2. For $99 do you think the Audigy2 is comparable in souund, to the Audigy Platinum that I have? Maybe the absence of the word "Platinum" biased my opinion. What's your opinion between the two? Would the sound be the same, but one has more features than the other? Anxious to hear from you.

_RA_

7. Anti-Trend

The only difference I know of between Platinum and standard Audigy2 cards is the ability to use an Audigy Drive, that 5.25" drive bay with all the I/Os and knobs. If you don't plan on getting an Audigy drive, the sound processor on each card is identical.

8. RA

RA Geek Trainee

It looks like it's good for go. If the sound is the same between the Platinum and standard, that's good enough for me. I just checked the OEM price for the Audigy 2 and it's $65 plus $7 ground shipping. Bill will charge me $99 plus tax, plus installation! He has spent a lot of time on this "sound card" fiasco and didn't charge me for uninstalling the Delta 1010LT, or putting it in, so I suppose he's entitled to make a few bucks. Since he's the only one around, I guess I have to "eat crow" and "pay the piper".
    Thanks a million "Anti-Trend", for your expertise. You made my day! :)
    TTYL

-RA-

9. Anti-Trend

No problem sir, I'm glad to help. :)