Need help! Successor PCI bus?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MagicalVacation, Sep 13, 2002.

1. MagicalVacation

MagicalVacation Geek Trainee

So, there's this new technology called the "Accelerated Hub Architecture" which connects the GMCH (Graphics and Memory Controller Hub) with the ICH (I/O Controller Hub) via an internal bus that offers double the bandwidth of the PCI bus, 266MB/s to be precise. Now, my question is: What is the name of this internal bus?

I've been searching everywhere and can't seem to find it.
    A little help would certainly be appreciated.

Thanx,
    -MagicalVacation.

2. syngod

syngod Moderator

I'm guessing you mean the PCI Express (formerly 3GIO) standard.

For more information about it check out Extremetech, their article can probably explain it a 100x better than I could :).

3. MagicalVacation

MagicalVacation Geek Trainee

Well, yes. But now that I've read through the article, I still don't know for sure if PCI Express is actually the name of the internal bus connecting the GMCH and the ICH. Perhaps you know someone who could clarify this for me?

4. syngod

syngod Moderator

Hmm, can't really help you there although there is the somewhat competing HyperTransport technology developed by AMD.

Unless that's the name your thinking of can't really help any further than that although BigB might be able to.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I think Intel just has their hub thing called the "Accelerated Hub Architecture", but I'll have to look.

SiS has MUTIoL, AMD has HyperTransport (which will be used by ALi and nVidia chipsets), and Via has V-Link. Right now we have a standards war, and some of them will eventually bite the dust. AMD has ALi and nVidia going with HyperTransport, and Intel is pretty much gonna keep with their Accelerated Hub Arcitecture. V-Link will be the main competitior to HyperTransport, as I don't think Intel really has much competition for a PCI successor with their Hub Architecture.