News Run Amok: Nvidia, Mac, AMD, Microsoft/Yahoo

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Swansen, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Yes, there is literally an explosion of news today, all kinds of crazy stuff going on, so i just decided to share some things i found interesting. Namely, how unsafe Apples new OSX-Tiger and Leopard are, Nvidia going for records and challenging Intel, AMD's HD 4000 series cards are shaping up very nicely, and Microsoft and Yahoo are apparently at it again.

Nvidia ​

Well, to start things off, Nvidia is having a LAN party of momentous length??? yep, they are going to have the longest continuous lan party. The aim is for a team to play continuously for 36hours allowing 10 minute breaks every 60 minutes. Yes, a very cool feat, but why not go for something crazy, like four days, ??? or something, i mean, i've stayed up three days in a row before to beat a game, and that wasn't that bad?
    On other things Nvidia, they are planning on making a leap into a new market. Nvidia is planning on creating a all-in-one processor. It will include everything thats traditionally on a motherboard, north/southbridge chipsets, a GPU with full featured functionality, AND a CPU. It is going to be called the Tegra, and its pretty much going to be the first of its kinda, but its going to be competing with Intels Atom, which is a powerhouse in its own right.
    NVIDIA to Host Guinness World Record Attempt by Gamers at NVISION 08
    TG Daily - Nvidia's lauches Tegra: A Computer on a chip

Mac Attack​

So, it turns out, once you start selling more machines, and more of your product gets out there, a domino effects comes into play. Pretty much, you sell more because you have a bigger name, as well, other people start to notice what your doing as well. So, hackers and the like have been going crazy on Macs. The latest is a real problem though, and nothing funny, but mainly targets OS-X's Tiger and Leopard. Ok, but i have to stop here for a moment, there have to be certain circumstance met in order for the exploit to work, but for the normal user, this is still an issue. Anyways, it can do a range of things, from stealing passwords, to taking your picture.
    TG Daily - Trojan horse takes pictures of Mac users

Microsoft X Yahoo​

Well basically it was over before it even began, but there were rumors of talks, so Yahoo's stocks shot up, then fell abruptly once everything was confirmed. On a side note a yahoo board member is an odd position to hold these days.
    PC World - Business Center: Microsoft Merger Rumor Prompts Yahoo Trading

The AMD Show​

Well, it is if you are in the market for a good mid to highish end graphics card for a good price. With Nvidia's 9800 GTX+ going after AMD's new line-up, AMD had to come at them with something, and they have, that being the overclocked 4850. AMD has unlocked all the overclocking restrictions and there is talk that the 4870 isn't to far behind that move as well. Also from the AMD camp, supposedly, you can combine cards from different generations, the HD 3000 and HD 4000 series cards can be combined as long as they have the same memory size, in QUAD CONFIGURATIONS!!!
    TG Daily - Second wave of Radeon 4850 cards to go against Nvidia’s 9800 GTX+
    TG Daily - ATI Radeon 4850/4870 mix and match with Radeon 3850/3870

On Other things, there are apparently less people pursing tech degrees and it has business's worried. I'm not sure where they were getting there information, or where they did their studies, but thats just doesn't seem correct to me??? Not that i'm complaining, but from all that i have gathered, there is like an abundance of tech people right now???
    TG Daily - Fewer pursuing tech degrees