No post/beep/display

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Fred, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Fred

Fred Moderator

The hardware in question:
    Asus Motherboard
    Athlon 64 3000+
    Kingston RAM
    Seagate HDD

The history:
    About a month ago, there were a lot of storms in my area... which included some power outages and power surges. The system above, which i built for my brother, had to go through all of this without a surge protector (I didn't know he wasn't running it without one). One day after the power had went out, my brother tried to turn the computer back on and it wouldn't boot.
    Problem description:
    When I power the computer, all of the fans turn on and all that jazz but the screen is absolutly blank. No beep and no post. Oh yeah.. and the HDD is dead too.. tried using it in another computer and it is not even recognized

What I have tried:
    I have tried booting barebones to no avail. I have tried putting my 3500+ and Corsair RAM in the computer and that doesn't help either [still barebones]. I have tried his processor [3000+] on my motherboard with his RAM [still barebones] and it doesn't boot that way either. I have tried using his motherboard and ram with my processor and used a known working video card in the slot instead of the onboard video. I have even tried taking his motherboard out of his case and putting it on an antistatic bag and booting it barebones (using all his hardware).
    The only way I have got it to boot is using MY motherboard with my processor and his RAM and my video card; And my psu powering it. This same setup with his cpu instead of mine does not work. His motherboard with my cpu, his ram, and a known working video card does not work.

Conclusion:
    Dang, that was long! I am pretty sure that his motherboard and cpu are dead.. to go along with his HDD. I am looking into making him buy a new Mobo and CPU. What do you guys think? Is there anything I haven't tried, or should I have him order this new stuff?

2. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Looks like you have a fried/faulty motherboard and CPU.
    I've had 2 Asus A8N-SLi Premium's both gone faulty, they would power up (fans and everything), but give me 1 Long and 2 Short beeps, claiming it's a video card error, but doing some googling I found that it could be a motherboard issue, so I have had to RMA the board's back to Asus to get it repaired (one's there now).

When you managed to boot with your motherboard, processor, his RAM. your video card; And your psu powering it, did it boot up normally, all ok or did it give you any beep's??

3. Fred

Fred Moderator

When I got it to boot up, it was perfect, but you have to consider is was using MY motherboard, MY CPU, and MY video card. The only thing off of his system that it was even using was his RAM, which isn't saying much...

4. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

I think most definetly you have a faulty CPU & Motherboard, if your still under warranty, try an RMA back to the manufacturer's.