Not enough power?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by tabs5000, Aug 17, 2008.

1. tabs5000

tabs5000 Geek Trainee

Hi I got some problems with the power supply,at least some ppl say it's the power supply who's causing problems.The graphic card shuts down while playing and kicks me to desktop and becomes undetected. So after that I have to restart my computer so I can play again.

These are my system specs:

Motherboard :ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5VD2-VM
    CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz
    Memory : 2047MB
    Display Adapter : ATI Radeon HD3650 1GB GDDR2

And my power supply :

Power Supply : Platinum MS-400ATX P4

So is my computer underpowered?:confused:

If it is would this power supply do the job well? :

-Power Supply 500 W Bluestorm II, ATX V2.2

Support during Prescott CPU
    Newest ATX12V v2.0 with vice versa compatible
    Compatible with newest AMD processors
    Producre's time without mistake during 100,000 hours???
    High Efficiency (during 70% to 80%)
    Entry tension: 115V-230Vac
    Entry frequency: 47Hz to 63Hz
    Dimension: 140 x 150 x 86mm
    Shape: of Leg-pulls PC
    Power : 500W

I'd appreciate your answers :):D

2. tabs5000

tabs5000 Geek Trainee

Oh and yeah the temperature ( dunno of what) is really really high =p

3. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

It sounds to me that your GPU is over heating and shutting it's self down and not a low power problem but im not that experienced in this area so i could be wrong hope someone with better knowledge in HWF can give you a better picture of whats going on.

For the mean time why not take some temperature reading of your GPU by using GPUZ?????

4. tabs5000

tabs5000 Geek Trainee

The temperature of GPU while not playing is 56 C while playing 66 C =P

Oh and yeah this is the info of the power supply +3.3v@24A, +5v@28A,+12@14A,-12@1A,[email protected]+5vsb@2A

5. Pimp

The idle temperature is on the high side but nothing too crazy i honestly don't know what could be causing this problem hopefully some one with better knowledge on forums can help you out. Perhaps you should have put this thread in the GPU section and not PSU threads but o well.

6. tabs5000

tabs5000 Geek Trainee

I post it in PSU section because I think it's a PSU problem ^^ But not sure :x:

7. Pimp

well i reckon it's still to do with your graphics card and not you power supply because if it was your power supply it would effect the whole system wouldn't it???

8. Pimp

Hay this is a wild guess but if it is a power problem then maybe your 6-pin PCI-E connectors is busted (im guessing it's 6pin) why not try another one???

9. tabs5000

tabs5000 Geek Trainee

The problem appears when I push my graphic card to the limits like Crysis =P,Pro Street,Two Worlds,Test Drive Unlimited :eek:( In any other games it's fine. Oh and yeah sometimes the sound went out as well :x: By the way my system is capable of running Crysis so "don't look problems that way" At the start when I bought them,everything was fine the problems started like 3 days after. (I bought 2 of these computers and the problem is the same)

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

While the PSU may likely be the culprit, here are two things I'd try before yanking out the current PSU:

1.) Run the CPU at stock speeds. I believe the Pentium E 2200 runs at 1.9 or 2.0GHz. It should be fine at 2.2, but for the sake of a potential problem, lower it back to stock.

2.)Make sure all power connections on the motherboard, and the video card--should it have one--are plugged in.