pci sound card

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by skribla, Aug 12, 2005.

1. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

hi. I am ok with working computers- can someone tell me how hard it is to plug a osundcard into an empty pci slot- i mean for someone who isnt sure what they are doing does it just slot in or what?

also, if my computer is under warranty- is doing this likely to void it?

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

id say its unlikely it'd void the warranty-read the warranty guide very carefully!
    its pretty simple, just un-install your old sound card and turn off your computer,
    plug in your PCI sound card into an available slot and your pretty much set!
    windows will auto detect it and just follow the on-screen instructions!

3. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Installing PCI cards is simple as they just push in, all you will need is a screwdriver to secure the card to the case.

http://www.pcguide.com/byop/byop_InstallingPCIExpansionCards.htm

the above link should shows you how to do it with pictures [there installing a PCI modem] :)

As for your warrenty, i dont know... it depends on what the supplyer deems acceptable....

If something does go wrong.... put everything back the way it was, and keep quiet about what you did!

even better, if you het an engineer come to your house to fix the PC, make friends with him and ask for help putting in your new Sound card! :D

but dont worry, i doubt anything will go wrong... you'll be fine :)

4. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

i doubt it'll void your warranty to install new hardware, all thats required to do is open the case, unscrew the pci metal piece and simply push the card into the slot, everything should adjust right, then put the screw back only this time on the pci card metal piece to secure it in place, once you boot windows it should install default drivers and you're good to go

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That really depends on the warranty and something you'd have to read over to see what voids it or not.