Power Supply w/ Fan Speed Change?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Forky, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Forky

Forky Geek Trainee

Hi, I know this is probably a really dumb question, but being that i'm not 100% sure I don't want to screw anything up. I just installed a new Super Flower 520W Power Supply in my PC and the power supply has a switch on the back with three different fan speed options. One is normal, two is low and three is high.

The question though is it o.k to change that switch while the pc is ON? With my luck i'll change the fan speeds to find out and my power supply will short circuit, lol.

My hunch is that it's alright, but I just want to make sure otherwise I'll power down the PC first and then adjust the fan speed.

Thanks much in advance to anyone who replies.

2. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

I would think your supposed to change it when the pc is powered down, much like changing the voltage in the back of it.

3. Forky

Forky Geek Trainee

well that's definitely the safest bet, huh? The voltage I'd think is an entirely different situation as it's a significant change. A fan I kind of see as a normal house fan either floor or ceiling fan which can be changed with a button or a knob kind of like the button on the back of the power supply, but being that noone has said for sure I'll just live with changing it with the power off. That's not such a bad thing. :D