Preventon Firewall

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Cyberbabe, May 18, 2007.

1. Cyberbabe

Cyberbabe Love been a Girl

Hi :)

My Brother has just given me a Firewall (preventon v2.1) not freeware, he has had it a few months and not used it so he gave it me , hes gone out now :rolleyes: do any members know anything about Preventon Firewall (i have never heard of it) ?, i run Comodo ATM, any advice very welcome, thank you. (I just took a snap of the case and disk)

[​IMG]

2. Cyberbabe

Started to install this Firewall :rolleyes: it wants you to put in to the interface all the ports used so every few seconds there is a pop up so you can allow access after 15 mins of this i got fed up with it so now uninstalled (maybe it is a good Firewall but its a pain to set up !

[​IMG]

3. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

4. Cyberbabe

Hi ferg :)

Thank you for the links hun, i have used Zone Alarm before and it works well so i may g back to it "but now ZA includes Kaspersky A/V wondering if this will causes conflicts with other A/V's" ?

5. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Well i'm no big fan of zone alarm tbh, Ive been using kerio for a good while now and have found no fault with it, couple it with Nod32 and i'm the happiest Ive been with my computer security in a long while they use hardly any system resources, and kerio is the easiest firewall for networking I have found to date, makes life much easier if your crawling around in a loft knowing that it aint a crap firewall messing your network up.

I didnt know it had kapersky included now, Ive had two seperate AV's installed at once many times, never had a real problems except system slow down, especially when they both want to scan incoming emails, if you do end up with two be carefull they dont find false positives of viruses in each others directories - has been known to happen.

I even install this combination of clients PC's unless they insist on using *wretch* Norton that they stuipidly paid for for yet another year.

6. Cyberbabe

Thanks for the info ferg I had Norton IS 2005 and found it slowed things down a lot !, i am behind a hard ware firewall but i will install 3rd party Firewall ATM its XP firewall running that I'm not happy about because i cant control whats accessing the net.

7. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Yeah Ive never trusted the built in firewall in xp, but it is better than nothing i guess.

Im a firm believer in running an up to date security combination to negate the need to update windows at all.... I only put sp2 on my main computer the other week due to a compatability issue ^^

Never had a virus, never been hacked... then i suppose Ive never clicked on an EXE in an email either.... :chk:

8. Cyberbabe

[QUOTEIve never clicked on an EXE in an email either][/QUOTE] thats a good polocy to have :D

My presant securety

BT Home Hub Router Hardware Firewall (Stealth Option)

Running

XP Firewall
    AVG Anti-Virus Pro
    AVG Anti-Spyware Plus
    BOClean 4.23
    WinPatrol Plus (Hacked the Bark, Doberman Growl)

On Demarnd

Spy-Bot SD
    a-squared
    AD-Aware SE Pro
    All Daly Updates + Windows Updates

All Downloads to 4GB Flash Drive, Scanned prior to move and use

9. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I would give it a try, and then go to Gibsons Research, Click on Shields up test and see if it will pass there test.. do both ports tests..

10. Cyberbabe

Hi Ghostman :)

In the last hour i have installed Ashampoo Firewall (freeware) and its looking good !, did as you suggested and the results are below

[​IMG] - [​IMG] - [​IMG] - looking good i think.

11. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

That is good,it passed.. Now I would go there from now on and test each and every one you install... Just too make sure that there is NO open ports..
    Now you might get an open port while using a router, just bypass the router and hook it up direct, then test.. good luck...

12. Cyberbabe

every what i install "lost me there ?"

:confused: how do i get on line if i dont use the router ???

13. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I mean, every firewall you want to try, Just go to shields up and test it there ....
    If you are on DSL, you just use the modem that you have instead of the router to test the firewall. After it passes the test, then rehook the router..

14. Cyberbabe

Oh i see :) , no i will run the Ashampoo Firewall for a week (see how it stands up) seems good up to now.
    I'm with BT unlimited so i get a BT Home Hub Router ADSL no modem, but as i say ash is looking good its very configureble you can choose what accesses the net it keeps its own log which i can clear, it has a lot more functions then ZA or Comodo.

15. donkey42

donkey42 plank

modem is probably built in[ot]a router and a modem was required but nowadays they are usually all built in[/ot]my router has a built in modem, gateway & hardware firewall[ot]& something else, i think[/ot]