Printer Problem

Discussion in 'Printers, Scanners and Digital Cameras' started by peter, May 8, 2006.

1. peter

peter Geek Trainee

I wonder if somebody could give me some advice b4 I venture out to spend on a new printer.
    I have a Epson C84 which has stopped printing black but is ok with the 3 colours. I have used the clean process several times to the pooint that nearly all the ink has gone. The black is obviously going somewhere but still will not print on the paper, could somebody shed some light b4 I throw it.
    Thanks

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

try cleaning the print head with some isopropel alcohol on a cotton wool bud, you can buy it cheaply at most chemists, just tell them why you want it, you may also have to sign the poisons book

3. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

1. Does it test-print? Most printers have a built-in diagnostics program which can be very useful for troubleshooting problems and test-printing without a computer. They are usually initiated by pressing a button or two while turning on the printer. Check your user manual. If the printer test-prints OK, you have probably eliminated the mechanical print mechanism as the problem.

2. Does it have ink or toner? Is the Ink cartridge full, ribbon installed correctly, or laser cartridge full? An ink jet printer may have a black and a color cartridge. Check both of them or at least set the printer to use a cartridge with ink in it. You can usually extend the life of a laser cartridge long enough to order a new one by removing the cartridge and gently shaking it side-to-side to redistribute the tone. Sometimes you can get a ribbon going temporally by removing from the printer and manually advancing the ribbon past a worn spot by turning the sprockets.

3. Is it clean? Most ink jet printers have a simple user procedure for cleaning the print heads. You may have to clean them periodically or after the printer has been idle for a few days or weeks. If you see funny colors or print-outs are missing colors, a cartridge may be empty or a head dirty. You may have to clean a head many times to get it working again.

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

The easiest way to solve this?

Simply buy a new black ink cartridge. There is no need to buy a new printer!

5. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

lol well if the black is draining out of the cartridge, where is it going?? Is the inside of your printer drenched in black ink or something?