question about replacing motherboard emachines t2482

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by efx2003, Apr 8, 2006.

1. efx2003

efx2003 Big Geek

My motherboard on my emachines t2482 went out and I would like to replace it with another brand. I am switching out the motherboard only and keeping everything else including cpu and memory. Probably going to change the memory speed to something faster. Could somebody give me some advice on which motherboard brand would be best to buy Asus, Biostar, MSI, or ASRock. Please help if you can. Thank You.

Here is the spec for the emachines t2482:

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    Chipset: VIA KM 266
    Memory: 256MB DDR (PC 2100)
    Hard Drive: 80GB HDD
    Optical Drive: 48x Max. CD-RW Drive, 16x Max. DVD Drive, 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
    Video: S3 ProSavage8™ integrated (1 AGP slot available)
    Sound: AC '97 Audio
    Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
    Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
    Peripherals: Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
    Ports/Other: 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Microphone-In & Head Phone jack on front, Audio-In & Out, 3 PCI slots (2 available)
    Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D
    Internet Access: AOL 3 month membership included
    Software: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition, Microsoft Works 6.0, Microsoft Money 2002, Encarta Online, Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™, Microsoft Media Player, Real Player, Power DVD, Internet Explorer, Netscape® Navigator, MSN®, CompuServe®, AOL (with 3 months membership included**), Norton AntiVirus 2003 (90-day complimentary subscription)

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

hi, it would be helpful to know CPU socket number if you want to keep it, and it is probably an Intel, am i right?

3. efx2003

efx2003 Big Geek

The cpu is a AMD Athlon XP 2400 socket# 462. Which motherboard would you recommend.

4. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

If you can still find them i'd suggest an ABIT NF7-S or a ASUS A7N8X/A7N8X Deluxe board.

5. efx2003

efx2003 Big Geek

I was thinking about a BIOSTAR M7NCG 400 Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 IGP Micro ATX AMD Motherboard. Do you think that would be good enough. Please reply if you can. Thank You.

6. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

That board should do fine if you need a cheapy but i'd still recommend the aforementioned boards. If you don't need or want integrated video, i'd stay away from it. On the plus side, it has everything else integrated :cool:

7. efx2003

efx2003 Big Geek

Thanks for the advice.