Road Tax

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Swansen, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

IBM - How it works: Driving change in Stockholm - United States
    You have got to be kidding me, they make you pay for driving on the roads, so you buy gas, insurence, and everything else, but now you have to pay to use the roads as well. WHY is this such a GREAT idea, ok i understand that it alleviates traffic, and blah blah, but seriously, i can't see how this is going to fix anything. So all the traffic that was on the roads, now just crowds the bus, so now they have crowded buses??? this is dumb

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I agree, but unfortunately, some people want to do it for environmental reasons, and more money in the coffers of the government are always appealing. It's the start of another "sin" tax.

3. Addis

Addis The King

Well at least they'll be used well then, better than crowded roads.

4. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah, i dunno, its good but at the same time its crazy. If there are a ton of people making the same commute everyday, and only go to work or where ever and then straight back home this seems like a good idea. But if you have to drive for work, or once you get there you have to go to a few other places, this seems crazy. I dunno, i just hope the US doesn't adopt this on major highways/freeways. (yes, i know they are already on turnpikes, and state borders, but thats not really that bad, you can go around them)

5. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Not only the US...NZ is also planing to do this thing. Also I read in a newspaper that England will be doing this soon as well. The reason they are saying is too much traffic on the roads and air pollution. I dont like this idea too because it reduces the flexibility if you have to use the Public transport.... :doh:

6. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

We've always had road tax in the UK, and now we have congestion charges in the main cities! 130 squid a year... harsh :(

7. Karanislove

Sh*t...n how much traffic is in UK??

8. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Too bloody much! ^_^

9. Karanislove

wow..so that means tax on the roads will not help at all in reducing traffic only fill the govt pockets....

10. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

We also have insanely high fuel tax, from bbc website:

"..If a litre of unleaded petrol costs 85p, 21.7p will be the production costs and profit, around 51p will be duty and 12.5p will be VAT on top of all that..."

Driving is a very expensive game in the UK! :'(

11. Karanislove

I rekon one shud buy a petrol pump in UK...
    If after all this traffic hasnt decreased then it means the Income rate must be higher as well..

12. zeus

zeus out of date

lol, Ive not read the article, I dont have time, but does this mean some countries dont have to pay!? It costs £10 a day to drive in london, on top of your tax, insurance, MOT and cost of the car and petrol. In the countries where you dont pay tax.... where does the cash come from to fix the roads, roadsigns, traffic cameras n stuff?
    Here is a list of what we pay....
    The cost of vehicle tax : Directgov - Motoring

From the environmental point of view im all for road tax based of the price of the vehicle. If you can afford a £50k merc and an £80k Range Rover to go with your £3m london apartment whats a couple of hundred quid road tax. Its not going to cap your driving or change the car your buy. But if the tax was £3000 a year on these cars it might make people think twice. We just need to ban cars, lightbulbs, standby switches and everything else in the world. China included :)
    I think we should bin off the majority of the council tax bill too (let me guess, we're the only country who has to pay tax simply to be in the street?) and start putting rubbish in rubbish bins with a barcode, then when the bin goes on the wagon its weighed and you are billed. Recycle bins are obviously free! It lowers council tax and gets people recycling. Its up to you if you can afford not to recycle.

13. shortcake

shortcake Geek Trainee

I pay about 60 every six months for tax. If i get a faster car it will go up to about 90 i think. I wouldnt mind paying this if the roads were actually kept well maintained. My suspension is awfull at the moment and will have to pay out alot of money to get it sorted. Pot holes and things are the biggest offenders!

They are also thinking of trialling congestion charges at the end of my road (Manchester). Thats rediculous as i would have to pay to get off my own road!!!

14. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah, like Karan said, it seems more like we would be paying this tax, just to put money into the governments pockets.