Thermaltake QFan 650 PSU

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Big B, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Thermaltake has gone from mediocre to excellent in the power supply realm. The boys and JonnyGURU have the Toughpower QFan 650W unit on the bench today for a beating.

Our load testing phase begins as it always does, with me pointing at my test bench and describing that there big beige metal box, also known as a SunMoon SM-268 ATE. That there fancy electronic load is able to be programmed for up to five preset loading patterns, which I will set up to hit the QFan with five progressive loads ranging from 20% to 100% of full rated capacity, keeping in mind the minimum and maximum loads specified on the label. Then, I'll crossload it with first a high 3.3V/5V load, which represents Mom's old Pentium III rig, and then a high 12V load, representing a modern rig with a disproportionately high 12V load (like, say, a rig with one hard drive and 8800 Ultras in SLI or something). When this is done, I'll tell you all what I think of its performance thus far and then bake the unit in my custom built hot box of doom.

As with most Toughpower units, the performance is great. Unfortunately, they dinged it for the price, which is kinda high for a 650W.