VHS to DVD problems

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by rebekka, Oct 22, 2006.

1. rebekka

rebekka Geek

Hi
    I'm fairly new to this forum and hope somebody can help.

I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-ES30VEB which transfers VHS tapes to DVD - has been very good up to now but I have a 50min VHS tape that I have copied to DVD and although it plays back perfectly well on that recorder it will not play on my computer! :mad:

I have finalised it so that's not the problem. I wondered if it was copy protected but it doesn't say so and as I said it plays ok but not on my computer. Is it possible to re-format it to make it play - or something clever like that? Bit new to this transferring stuff so hope somebody can help - PLEASE :)

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Hey, What error message do you get when you try the DVD on your computer?, my guess is that a required codec is not installed that is needed to let you play it on the computer or maybe it's in some format the DVD drive cant read.

3. rebekka

rebekka Geek

Willz
    Thanks for reply.
    The message I get when I put the disc into Drive D and try to play DVD on my
    computer is 'please insert disc into drive D' . When I try with Nero or PowerDVD or WMP
    it says 'No disc in Drive D' which is the same.

Showing my complete ignorance :O - how would I install a codec if that
    is what is needed? any link for info please?

Thanks again for your reply.

rebekka

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi

It sounds like the disk is not finalised after all.
    Or that the DVD drive in your computer cannot recognise what's on the disk.

It should however, see something on the disk.... :dry:

Are there any other options you can tweak on the recorder apart from finalising? Finalsing might not automaticaly make the disk playable on any device?

And just for good measures, can you play a pre-recorded DVD on your computer?

5. rebekka

rebekka Geek

sabashuali
    I can assure you the disk said 'finalised' before I removed it from the recorder.
    It plays back, no problems, on the recorder. It is only this one DVD -I have tried others
    pre-recorded and self copied - and they all play ok on my computer.
    I have looked at all tweaking possibilities.

This VHS was I think copied from an original. It does not say it is protected when I copy
    it onto DVD. If I could buy a copy I would but I know it is quite rare.
    Perhaps a 'professional' could copy it for me but I was hoping somebody on this forum
    would be able to tell me how to do it myself.
    I also would have to find somebody to do it for me :confused:

I am so frustrated - tearing my hair out etc :crash: . :swear: :swear: :swear:

Thanks for your help anyway :)

Rebekka

6. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Has you DVD recorder have mode selection as in Video or VR?

If you have recorded in VR, even if finalised, the disk will not be playable on a non VR compatable device. Be it your computer, anothe DVD player etc.

That is my last bit of newly aquiered knowledge.
    If this is not the problem then that's me done... :(

Updated - Just as I thought, when using DVD recorders you have two options, DVD-V or DVD-VR. With the VR, the resulting disk will only play on a VR compatible player. You need to make sure you choose to record in V and not VR. I actualy think you can only use VR on DVD-/+RW disks. As I understand it, when you use a 'write once' disk, you only get the V option. Disks using VR will be invisible to non VR player or drive for one of the following reasons - the recorded format is not recognisable or the filesystem used in VR is not recognisable. Now, for my own pride I hope I am right... :p

7. rebekka

rebekka Geek

Sabashuali

Thanks for that info and pm.

Success at last! I changed to a different brand
    of DVDs and hey presto it plays on my DVD player
    and my computer now!!!

Thanks for all your help
    rebekka :)

8. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Brilliant!

Oh, well you got there in the end.
    And I have learned not to look too far.... ;)
    Changing media, now why didn't I think of that, hey?:rolleyes:

Glad to have tried...