why 99cents and not $1. (and $4.99 $6,995 / $14,995 etc)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dwarfer, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

hi this has bothered me for a long time, i believe its because they're fooling consumers into thinking it is cheaper than it is (coz you see the unit figure FIRST (4.99) so it looks $2 when its really 1 cent short of $3. do they profit more by doin this, is it fair, don't they care about us?

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

uhmmm, they care about our wallets and thats about it. The whole point of a business is to make a profit, so i don't see how we can complain.

anyway, here's an idea... just do what i do, if it says £4.99, round it up and treat it as £5 and stick the penny in a jar when you get home! (it builds up faster than you would think)

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I must saw Dwarfer you seem to hate businesses - but:

1) They're there to make money,
    2) Prices like that are a psychological thing, you see £4.99 and it doesn't seem like only £0.01 short of £5 - like lots of things in this world, it's not there to deceive, it's there because we notice the £4 - not the £0.99.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Even/odd pricing. It's part of economics. People tend to think it's a good deal if you sell it for .99c instead of $1.00. It's very effective in clearing out product or making a sale. Companies aren't necessarily being greedy, but as they are for-profit businesses, the even/odd pricing makes the product more attractive for purchase. Another strategy: something like 2 for $3.00. It makes you feel like you're getting a deal, at least compared to running them $1.50 each.
    I work retail, and put some of our excess stock on an in-store sale. I'm amazed at how often slapping a tag on a product with barely a drop in the price will make it fly off the shelf. From what I see, you almost can get by with putting a tag on it and let the consumer mentality take flight. "Oooh, there's a tag! We're saving $$$$$$!" when they're simply saving a few pennies.
    Short answer: it's the way business is done because in order to stay in business, you must turn a profit.

5. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Yeah, my old job did something similar, we put on sales a lot, granted there were some great deals, but some games didn't even drop by a penny, they just got a sale tag. And people still bought it.

6. Addis

Addis The King

Here we go again...

No matter what you think, 99c is cheaper than $1. $4.99 is cheaper than $5. Every person that I know of just thinks of the price rounded up, so if you're stupid enough to actually buy it on the merit of being 99c instead of $1 then you deserve to be fooled anyway IMO.

7. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Lloyds TSB do that for me, so if I spend £4.25, 75p goes into savings account.

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i think it's a way to con people into buying stuff, but they don't get me, i've wised up to the games they play

9. zeus

zeus out of date

If you had a penny for every product you had ever bought you'd be rich!
    I dont think its anything to do with trying to make stuff seem cheaper. Ive never looked at something for £4.99 and thinks "thats £4.99". Its a fiver to me!

I suppose its £4.99 and not £5 simply by tradition from when that penny actually counted.

10. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

It does seem to trick most people, and to be honest i have been caught out by it a few times (when I'm not thinking straight, after a few drinks) when buying munchies etc

11. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

I always look for what the best deal really is, I knew there was a reason Maths was a good subject to have a knack for. :p

12. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Yep, exactly, people see $0.99 and think they are getting a deal, 4.99 doesn't look like $5.00

13. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Yep, exactly, people see $0.99 and think they are getting a deal, 4.99 doesn't look like $5.00, its looks like $4.00