Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by rixx, Dec 18, 2002.

1. rixx

rixx Geek Trainee

Can't boot up in any mode, and i get the blue screen - problem detected, check for viruses, remove any newly installed hard drives, run chkdsk/f. blah blah

So after i try recovery console and chkdsk /p and fixboot. Still not booting. When i type chkdsk /f i get an invalid response message?

any ideas anyone? i've had xp 4 months and 3 crashes like this, most solved through recovery or reinstall of windows. chk dsk reports the hard drive to be in good condition and there was no newly installed hardware or software.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

have you tried pressing F8 when the computer is booting, and select "Last Known Working Configuration Option"

3. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

thats weird, win xp shud never crash that much(or even crash)
    u prob hafta do a reinstall of the OS :(

have u checked for a new bios and if there are any if they solve any winxp related isues ?

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

true, XP is yet to crash on me! if nothing works a clean install is most likely to fix the problem, if its not hardware related!

5. rixx

rixx Geek Trainee

thanx, its appreciated . .

Sniper - yeah none of the f8 options worked, not even directory restore. Its the first time its crashed so bad, but to be fair this time it was really my fault - messing with the reg edit.

RZA - just what i've done, i thought there could be another option but i couldn't be bothered to wait in the end. I just got a new motherboard with new bios and be4 i don't think this was the issue. Within 3 weeks of having a new system with xp i had to do a recovery console from a blue screen. this was when i had only about 5/6 programs, no internet and hadn't reconfigured anything!

unfortunately now i got a new problem. some programs arn't working, the recycle bin is looking for a link to norton systems (uninstalled about a month ago) and i can't see any network connections at all! suggestions?

epox 8k5a
    amd 2000+
    gforce 4 ti4200
    512 ddr