X1950Pro vs 8600gts/gt which to buy?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Kinetiq, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Kinetiq

Kinetiq Geek Trainee

Okay so i have a no more than a £100 budget, and the to video card i am stuck between choosing are the GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB/GeForce 8600 GT 256MB and the Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB which is better? i am leaning towards the x1950pro as i dont have vista and dont care about dx10 at the moment my specs are...

Pentium D Dual Core 3.00ghz
    windows xp media centre sp2
    1g ram
    x1300pro video card
    x-fi xtreme music sound card
    pci-e

Im not that great with comps so im not sure if this is all the info needed :doh: but i realy would like some advice on which card is the better..........thanks:)

2. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

3. Kinetiq

Kinetiq Geek Trainee

thanks that site toms hardware is very helpfull and it shows the x1950pro outperforms the 8600gts on the games i wil be playin i.e 2142 and oblivion.....

4. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

ur welcome hope you enjoy your new upgrade, but note the benchmarks are tested on a Core2 Duo, the FPS will be a lot lower on a Dual Core. I doubt these cards are a good choice for Oblivion

5. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

that doesn't really make any sense, ether i'm missing what your trying to say or i think you may have worded something wrong.

6. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

makes perfect sense.

the x1950 benchmarks for oblivion were 7fps on a core2 duo, a "dual core" processor won't handle it any better.

7. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

well, whatever, i did a lot of research, and if your playing DX9 games get the X1950 Pro, it will smoke the crap out of the GTS, those 1950's are crazy nuts. And if your going to play DX10 games, don't get anything less than an 8800 GTS 640mb version, seriously.

8. rimmer

rimmer Geek

not quite, don't get the 320mb version of the 8800GTS if you are playing on a larger monitor, larger than 19" in my opinion

9. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

wait, not quite what, and i think you mean if you are playing on a high resolution, the size of the screen wouldn't have anything to do with it. That said, if you want to play games, i wouldn't even mess with the 320mb version period. It just won't handle any games that well at all. Honestly, i'd get the Radeon HD 2900XT 1gb version, even the 512mb version is really good, and not that expensive for what your getting.