X800 vs. X800Pro/XL?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Exfoliate, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Alright as many of you know I'm performing an upgrade pretty soon. It's not so much in the market for super fast and expensive parts, but rather overclocking potential. But since I'm to be on a budget of between $800-900 more or less I can't spluge. I've seen extremely good deals on the X800's which look very nice. But How would you say they compair with the X800 Pro's and XL's? Obvioulsy the latter two will be better but is it really $50-100 better or 10-15% better. So in other words so I forgot the X800 and more to the next level or put the money somewhere else? And even better can I do any unlocking in RivaTuner? I haven't quite determined if that utility works with the X800, do any of you know? Thanks very much.:)

2. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

I think an X800 Pro with that overclock that I always talk about as well as some omega drivers is the best choice :good:

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Thanks, though I've found a X800 for about 200 dollars that some one got got from 392/700 to 450/982 I belive:good:, and that's the stock cooler, decent temps and stability. So the Omega drivers unlock the ol' pipelines?

4. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Hmmm, I'm interested to hear this, I have an X800 Pro.

5. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

no no, omega drivers are just really good drivers, the hack requires buying some other stuff, wait I'll look for the link

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

No I don't want to flash the bios, we all know the implications, and I've never be able to sell the card. Would RivaTuner work? Should if it worked for my 6800.

7. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

I think rivatuner works on both types, if not theres definately a ATI dedicated overclocking/unlocking device for sW or hW

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

But the real quesion is could I use RivaTuner or whatever on the X800, if so than that's a win win situation for the price.

9. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

doesn't the rivatuners makers' page display its compatability?

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Never thought of that:p, thanks.

11. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

haha anytime ex

12. n0chi

n0chi Geek Trainee

here is the mod:
    http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/61/42/

but whats:
    1.6ns Samsung GRam???

and also i read that the x800 pros are oc'able in rivatuner.. i just dont know what that means :p heh hope that helps ex.

13. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Good work but I'm not into hardmods unfortuantly, too risky and it essentually cripples the card so it dies in about 1/2-1 year. I would like to be able to sell it eventually. Depending on my situation I'll probably go with an X800 just because I want to be able to afford a dual core 3800.
    For the GRam the G is probably for Graphics? 1.6 though???

14. kool_azn

kool_azn Geek Trainee

wat was ur old card?

15. kool_azn

kool_azn Geek Trainee

i heard that there was a hack to turn ur X800 pro to a X800XT or sumthin like that not to sure tho......

16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I'm using a 6800 with 128Mb's or vram, not enough for me. And yes there have been posts about the mod, it's good but too risky:)

17. bobbyk

bobbyk Big Geek

I think the 1.6 is the speed of the memory chip used in the modification. Remember the old days when we'd switch VRAMS from 70ns to 20 ns? Needed hot-air soldering stations, but they worked. :)