XP only reads 128GB of 200GB HDD

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by nanco, Oct 23, 2006.

1. nanco

nanco Geek Trainee

I know I’m not the first person to have this problem, but I have been extensively researching its causes and such for quite a while now (since I last reformatted my computer approximately six months ago).

I have the following hard/software (in terms of relevance regarding this problem):

• Gigabyte GA-81915P Duo Pro Motherboard
    • Maxtor 6L200P0 HDD (200GB) – Windows boot
    • Windows XP with SP2 included on the CD

First off, my computer right now (with Windows installed and everything) reads the full 200GB capacity of the drive in BIOS; however it is only read as having 128GB capacity in Windows (Device Manager/My Computer/Disk Management).

So far, I have tried the partitioned the drive using Maxblast software prior to Windows installation rather than partitioning at Windows setup and have enabled the Maxtor “Big Drive Enabler” in Windows. Unfortunately, I have had no luck with these methods.

I have researched many websites and forums and have made a small list of things to try at my next format, which should be sometime shortly after Xmas if I get chance at all. Here are the following things I plan to try next:

• Partition the drive via Maxblast (approx 10GB), install Windows on this partition, and then partition the rest in Windows.
    • Install Windows on another HDD I have (20GB) and install the 200GB HDD as slave and run it through Maxblast via Windows to see if it’s a bootable issue only.
    • Double check jumpers on HDD in case there is one limiting capacity (I doubt it very much as I’ve had my PC in pieces since, but there may be a small chance that I could be wrong)
    • Prior to installing the 200GB HDD, set HDD settings in BIOS to manual (rather than auto detect), partition the HDD via Maxblast, then change the settings back to auto in BIOS.

Whether any of those will actually work, I have no idea. But like I mentioned, I have researched many sites and these are the only suggestions I have found that may solve my problem.

Now for the questions:

1. Surely if BIOS is recognising the capacity of my HDD, it has to be a Windows software issue. Correct?
    2. Through any experience of your own, do you honestly think the small list I made might offer a solution to this problem at all?
    3. Am I still overlooking something here?

Ideally, I’d like to see if I can solve this without having to send it away for someone else to look at.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi

Any chance of getting a screen shot of your Disk Managment window?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

For Windows XP, Service Pack 1 or later is required to properly recongize drive capacities larger than 137GB. Service Pack 4 (I think, it might be 3) of Windows 2000 is required for the same effect. If you want the full 200GB as one big partition, you'll need to make a slipstream copy of Windows (it's legitimate) with the latest Service Pack. You can also do this with 3rd party tools, like Partition Magic. There's also some Linux live distros that include partition resizing tools.

4. nanco

nanco Geek Trainee

Here is a screenshot of my disk management:

[​IMG]

I have the 200GB drive in two partitions of roughly 63GB each. There is 421MB unallocated, but the drive is still read as 128GB.

As for slipstreaming, I didnt think you needed to do that for Xp with SP2 (its a standalone installation, not an upgrade).

5. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

How about connections and jumpers.
    How is that configured?

6. nanco

nanco Geek Trainee

Unfortunately, I dont have time to double check right now. From what I can remember, the HDD is set as master. I dont think there were any other configurations on there that might limit capacity, but I will set the jumper to cable select when I reinstall Windows next.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You don't need to slipstream, but for the OS to properly recognize hard drives with capacities over 137GB, you'll need Service Pack 1 or later. Slipstreaming makes it so that you've got an install disc with SP1 (or 2) files there, so you don't have to deal with the OS not seeing the full capacity from the start.

8. nanco

nanco Geek Trainee

Thanks for the advice!

Could you explain how I can slipstream XP or link me to a site with a good explanation please?

I know it may be hard for you to answer right now, but if I were to slipstream Windows, would this definately fix the problem?

9. nanco

nanco Geek Trainee

I have been doing a bit of research on slipstreaming Windows, but what would be the point if I were to slipstream my XP with SP2 already included on it?

Could anyone help me out here please?

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Slipstreaming is helpful if you've got XP or XP SP1 for your install disc, since it would give you the SP2 updates. If you have a disc with SP2, then there'd be no benefit to slipstreaming SP2, since you're not updating any files.

Do you have SP2 installed right now?

11. nanco

nanco Geek Trainee

Yes, SP2 is installed right now (it is already integrated into the XP installation CD).

12. zeus

zeus out of date

Add this DWORD key to the registry then set the value to 1 using hexadecimal base.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters\EnableBigLba

Restart and it should show the rest of your drive.

13. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

There are some jumper settings which seagate says u need to do when ur computer doesnt detect the full big drives... Check [link=http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/ref/jumper_settings.html]here[/link]