1st overclock

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Waffle, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I've managed to o/c my 2.8ghz prescott up to a core of 3062.4mhz @ a multiplier of 14 with an 875mhz fsb, still stable as far as i can tell.

might run some heavy benchmarks and see if theres any difference.

reckon its good to oc some more or see how it goes?

also assuming it does :swear: up and wont boot, how do i reset it? just pull out the bios battery?

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

No Waffle you reset your CMOS, DO NOT pull out your battery.

Also i really wouldn't bother overclocking, you stand the risk of frying your CPU and your computer is more than powerful enough as it is.

Also i would Never overclock with a stock heatsink & fan.

I can overclock my CPU to 2.6Ghz - but i don't need it..

Your 2.8Ghz even if you clocked it at 3.4Ghz or something (alot of heat) you would only gain a maximum of 5-10Fps in games. I wouldn't overclock unless for example a game or peice of software comes out that requires a minimum of your processor or is getting close to it.. then overclock and you'll give yourself the extra boost you need.

As for overclocking anyway, i would read some newbie guides on overclocking before doing anything - understand how to overclock first then start overclocking and get some good cooling.

but as i;ve said there really isn't any advantage unless your running F@H or trying to EGO boost your benchmark scores (only effective in 3dmark01).

3. caffeinerush

caffeinerush Geek Trainee

Reseting the bios is as simple as plutting a jumper near the battery(usually marked with something like reset bios) Remember to take it off after you're done.

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

As i said, it's called the CMOS.

and i seriously WOULD NOT start overclocking if you don't know how to reset your bios - start reading Waffle.

[google]Overclocking Guide[/google]

5. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

I would overclock, but both my CPU AND mobo are locked, that'll teach me to buy from Intel. :p

6. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I'd give you a rep point procalx if i could, your responses always make me laugh :D (in a good way)

Thanks for the info, I'll fix it all good now.

:good:

7. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

feel free to give me a rep point - no harm done :)