73 degrees C proc temp?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by mugatu, Oct 28, 2004.

1. mugatu

mugatu Geek Trainee

AMD Athlon XP 2400
    ADXA2400DKV3C

is this a bad thing? it seems to be running too hot. BIOS reports CPU temp at 73, mobo at 39. the CPU fan is running at 4400 RPMs and the PSU fan varies from 1000-2400 RPMs. It sounds like the PSU fan is at a high speed when starting and slightly slows down and levels off.

having problems booting into windows--system hangs before windows fully boots. is the system overheating? do any of these figures seem abnormal? i looked up the CPU temp specs from AMD, operating range is from 0 to 85 degrees C.

a live Linux CD seems to work fine, but even the Windows install CD hangs unless i force it to use a Standard PC configuration at the beginning of setup. suggestions?

2. mugatu

mugatu Geek Trainee

i just took the CPU heatsink off and cleaned it up, and now it seems to be running at 2500 RPMs for some reason. the PSU fan is running at 1400 RPMs right now. the way the machine is set up, both fans are practically blowing at each other. pretty stupid design if you ask me.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

While the BIOS readings may not be accurate, with the temps coninciding with these symptoms, it's very likely that there's some overheating issues.

Check that the CPU heatsink is installed properly. Second thing is make sure that if you're using a stock heatsink it was packaged with the XP2400+ and not being reused, from say, an Athlon 1GHz chip, as it may not be designed to handle the faster chip.

I would look into a better heatsink--preferrably with at least a copper base, and grab some good thermal paste, like Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Ceramique. Before you put on the heatsink, clean off the CPU die and the heatsink base with some isopropyl alcohol. Apply a little bit of AS/AC to the die---you just need enough to have a paper-thin coat on the die only---then install the heatsink.

4. evanjanis

evanjanis Geek Trainee

Yeah i dont know the exact temputer for a that system. The one thing that i can tell you that if the windows disk get hanged up like you said it is probaly something to do with the temp. Windows has a built in program that monitors the Fans, speed and temp. If the temputer gets to hot it shuts down to prevent any damage to the system. I think Linux has a differnet thing in it and is not a picky about the temp. You should look at getting a better fan for your computer if you want to.
    A good fan i recomand for your AMD is a
    Thermaltake A1745 Extreme Volcano 12 Highest Performance Cooler
    This is a good fan you can find it at www.zipzoomfly.com or at www.newegg.com for a good price $31.00.
    But the computer controlls the fan so if it is telling the fan to run at that speed then it making the adjustment.
    The only other thing that could be making it do this is your motherboard some settings could me messed up.