7800GT isn't the chip we imagined

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Exfoliate, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah unfortunatly a certain firm released specs just a tad too soon, don't expect to see the the whole 7800GT is to 7800GTX as 6800GT is to 6800U, there is more going on then different clock speeds:(

"TAIWANESE manufacturers are quite well known for jumping the gun with webmasters posting the product details before they go away for a hike on a weekend.

In the past, similar escapades were performed by Albatron, ASUSTeK, Galaxy and many more, so we weren't surprised at all when a tweety-bird visited my inbox with a L'INQ that can be found at the bottom of the page.

Inno3D GeForce 7800GT details are a confirmation of many rumours floating around the mighty Intraweb. GeForce 7800GT is indeed a 20 pixel pipeline part, the number of vertex or ROP units weren't published. The GPU itself is clocked at 400 MHz, far beyond the original 335 MHz spec. 335 MHz is obviously being kept clean for even cheaper 7800 standard and 7800LE parts - whose appearance is limited by sheer number of 20/24 pipeline chips not passing further QA. Since Graphzilla already lowered the number of pixel pipes, it seems that yields of NV47...err...G70 chips aren't quite so great as we are led to believe. Last year, both 6800Ultra and its younger brother, 6800GT had same specs.

My guess is that many 7800GT users will go and play around with the now legendary RivaTuner. In search of the missing pixel pipes."

From the Inquirer

2. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

it still is alot better than the 6800 line

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

It would really suck if it wasn't;), not it will still be a really nice chip, just not what was origionally said.

4. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea... I can't wait for the ATI Fudos to come kick their ***. That will be funny. I wonder if they will be in by price range my December-January.