A little stuck for ideas...

Discussion in 'Web Design & Programming' started by Exfoliate, May 6, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

For those of you who don't know I decided to start building my own site, I've been slowly invensting a couple minutes now and then for a little while now and this is what I've got (the basic layout, I added rollovers and all but you obviously can't tell yet).
    [​IMG]
    But once I moved into Dreamweaver I just sort of came to the realization that I don't really have any good ideas, so what would you say I should add. It's the main content that's got me stumped. How'd you go about setting up yours Waffles? Any ideas of any kind (all potential part of the site) would be greatly appreciated, obviously this is not going to look anywhere as good as SR but I thought I'd give it a go and what do you know I ran out of inspiration. Thanks all.

Sniper likes this.
  2. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

awesome site ex

so far so good, yea im not that good at ideas either, tried makin one but deleted it eventually

3. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

start makin a game or somethin and post it eventually, get the free version of the amp 2 engine or somethin (if they still have it) cuz it looks alot like farcry's graphics type

4. Addis

Addis The King

Looking good Ex, i have tried on numberous occasions to build a website, i had the same problem as you and stopped.

5. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Lol same here..making sites on urself is crap, interests is cra,gfx is hard...lol keep thinking m8 im sure you'll come up with something

6. Addis

Addis The King

Once you have inspiration and a spur of ideas to make, its easy. Its just finding something that will make your visitors want to come back thats hard.

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Thanks everyone, nice to have some support:good:, yeah making a game would be cool zRock but that would take major commitment on my part (summer vacation would be a good time though), fancy skills, inspiration, and one bloody fast internet connection to upload the whole thing unfortunantely. Alas the woes of 56k. Thanks though.

8. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Lol I have this thing called 3D Games maker
    and all you have to do is drag and drop stuff but it can make some cool games coz u an change the AI of the chracters and design em and choose weapons and levle difficulty and loads of stuff its cool. a while back I was going to make a site and host some of the games I made onit but I couldnt be bothered lol.

9. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

hey i forgot the name but not long ago some mmopg came out online n it was low graphics and i remember it got like 1000s into it, anyway, did u check the engine? if its free? cuz i can't find a link.

10. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I think it looks pretty good but I would tone down on the effects used, try to make it more simple. The text is pretty hard to read for me, anyone else? use a different font.

other than using all green try adding a different colour to the design.

11. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Yeah i was thinking that.

also note, whilst the "content" areas look nice, they will be a complete bitch to add text to. The reason I say this is that as the content fills the page, the background will repeat itself in the cell, however it is not seamless and will look awful, (no offense, not your fault, just the way it is). If you want the pattern as a background, can I suggest taking a 10x10 pixel selection of it, preferably with the edges looking the same ish, and setting that as the whole page background.

( Unless of course you are using IFRAMEs, in which case it will be fine.)

That will look pretty seamless, which is better.

Also, as Sniper said, there are a lot of effects, and whilst nice on their own, are a bit of an eyeful to take in.

I would remove the effects from the text on the tabs, and that would tone it down a little IMHO.

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Thanks guys, I can't say I totally agree with the hard to read text, I added the outer glow as it was hard to read without it, but then again since I made it I know what it says and I'll have no prob figuring out what I mean obviously. I personally like the effects but I'm sure you're right about the repeating background problem.
    Oh well, screw it, I'll concider this practice and start a better design when I have more inspiration, I'll use a bigger size too, the content areas are two dinky. What are the demensions of SR? Thanks again everyone.

13. do50

do50 Big Geek

Love the colors - especially in the upper right... the light blue clump. Pine + ice blue, yeah, love it.

The font gave me a hard time. You want people to like it, tell their friends and come back, right? Definitely simplify it so it reads instantly.

Also remember that although you may have no problem with visual abstractions, many people find it a real challenge.

Anyway, I'm impressed!

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Thanks do50! Appreciate the good word, I suppose I am starting to see what ya'll mean about the font, letters like "m" and "n" don't read well at all. Just the same I know I can do better but whenever I get around to starting over I can keep in mind what not to do at least.