AM2 Chip faceoff: x2 6000 vs. FX-62

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by wompshmack, Jul 9, 2007.

1. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

Could you guys give me an idea of a comparison between these 2 chips? Oh, and this is one of those things where money doesn't matter.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The FX-62 is a Windsor-based dual core chip running at 2.8GHz. It has 1MB of L2 cache per core. Newegg lists it at $249.00

The X2 6000+ is a Windsor-based dual core chip running at 3.0GHz. It too has 1MB of L2 cach per core. Newegg's price is $169.99

I don't know how the prices translate over to the UK, but unless you have to have an FX chip or simply want to burn money, the X2 6000+ is cheaper and faster than the FX-62.

3. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

Thanks, I've really been wondering why the fx was so much more expensive.. Still no reason, as far as I know. Newegg has been really screwin me on my last order(Which is really uncharacteristic of them) but I dont really have a lot of other options.I wish I could find another place to order from.

4. Dracos

Dracos Geek

fx cpu's are based on opteron structural architecture but using different kinds and amounts of transistors in the core, and the commandship of cpu core are optimised for gaming that's why it's expensive

athlon x2 6000+ won't work on a nforce 4 board beacuse the cpu is am2 socket form and your mobo is socket 939 form so you gotta uprade mobo, and take a hand on ram case too as ddr ram won't work on the new mobo

so fx-62 would be better for you if you are just changing the cpu otherwise go buy intel conroe or wait for the battle of "penryn vs. barcelona"

but believe me with that 7300 gpu cpu will do no good for you

5. OnStock

OnStock Geek Trainee

>otherwise go buy intel conroe

AMD low prices are attractive for buyers. Doesnt matter that their OC capabilities are low, not like Conroe. Wanna overclock - buy new mobo and C2D. Wanna stable, cheap PC - go for AMD. AMD Stock versions are not worse then Intel's. For example, 6000+ vs. E6600. 6000+ is not worse than E6600, but AMD is way cheaper.

6. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

The phrase "AMD" is also attractive to amd fanboys. Yeah, I'm a fanboy, but at least I know I'm a fanboy, lol. I've been with AMD so long that I don't even consider intel anymore.

7. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

Allright Big B, I listened to you on this one, I got the 6000. It's great, and the money I saved on avoiding the fx-62 has translated into an extra gig of ram. I'm still using a geforce 7300gs and I've doubled my HL2 framerates!

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Man, what did you have before?

9. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

An athlon 64 4000. Socket 939. Of course I also have ddr2 ram ram now, which also helps, I just thought the 7300 gs would be more of a bottleneck.

10. OnStock

OnStock Geek Trainee

Weird decision.

Buying new GPU was a better choise. Thought you will not be going to buy a new CPU...

11. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

Yes, I will in fact be upgrading the GPU. I think I'm just gonna get a geforece 7900gs. It has that sexy 256 bit memory interface. I'm not really into DX10 as you may have noticed from my post about it. Also getting the 7900gs keeps my monthly tech budget under $500!