AMD 64 next gen

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Sniper, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

From reading many articles on the current amd 64 cpus, I know they can only use single channel memory, and people talking about waiting for the 939 version to come out, which will support Dual Channel Memory.

ok, they are bound to offer a increase in performanc, but by how much? would you go for the current a64 or the ones going out in a few months time?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

From what I understand, the Clawhammer is almost a split-level Athlon XP with an open FSB. That's why it runs so snappy in 32-bit mode; it's very natural for it due its many similarities to the AthlonXP and its few differences. Currently, there is no 64-bit Windows platform to speak of and if you're a serious gamer Linux won't float your boat. IMHO, the best idea is probably to wait for a pallatable consumer OS from M$ and bide your time as the Athlon 64's become more valuable and less expensive. :)

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I was thinking of building a new system, theres just around £150 difference between the A64 system, and the Barton! reading some more articles suggests that Dual Channel improves peromance very little, around %5!

I guess a new CPU and MB required If I wana run Dual in the future, thats if I go for a A64 system!

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Not certain until they hit, but the Socket 478 version of the Prescott P4 core is likely to work in most new S478 boards. Unfortunately this is up in the air, but I wouldn't mind snagging one if they do indeed work with the current crop of motherboards. The Abit IS7 series should support them as well as the latest i865/i875 boards from Asus, MSI and Gigabyte.