AMD cool n quiet quest.

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Girtho961, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

Well i turned amd cool n quiet and q fan, but i havent noticed any difference in clock speed or voltage when im running idle. Does it take a long time to take effect(i waited about 20-30 mintutes). Off topic but will a small oclock form 2.2 to 2.4 (athlon 64 3700+ SD core skt 939) what type of effect will it make on my system.

2. bobbyk

bobbyk Big Geek

Cool n Quiet works in tandem with Core Cell - at least with MSI boards. I studied its performance benefit, and the thing does work. Here's how to check if your system is properly using this feature: In the BIOS, check to see that Cool n Quiet is enabled. Disable Dynamic Overclocking while there, too. In Windows, activate Core Cell, and run your favorite Benchmark ( say, 3DMarkXX). You'll notice that your system performance will increase with Core Cell enabled. I like this cause I don't have to OC my system all the time; it kicks in only when I really need it. By the way, Core Cell will autimatically lower your CPU's Speed at start-up, slowimg down your fan speed as well.

3. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

well i have an asus a8n-e (nforce 4 ultra) and mine doesnt have that core cell your talking about, did you download that from the internet or does it come with MSI boards.

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i have MSI core cell on my MSI 865PE-Neo2 motherboard. (socket 478)

5. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

AI NOS™
    Boost performance when you need it the most!
    Applications such as 3D games and video editing demand a huge chunk of system resource.
    Inject "nitrous oxide" into your CPU! The patented AI NOS™ (Non-delay Overclocking System) technology intelligently detects system load and automatically boosts performance for the most demanding tasks. Unlike other dynamic overclocking techniques, AI NOS™ reacts much faster to satisfy your unending need for speeds.

Is this what MSI core cell does

6. phaedrus

phaedrus Geek

I have Cool n Quiet on my MSI Neo2 platinum and its never worked properly!!, every time i enable it my processor (FX55) gets locked to 1.2GHz by the multiplier staying at 6x. i've tried every option except updating the BIOS and im not too keen on doing that. At the moment i am using an Aerocool gatewatch to control the fans, not that i dont like it, its a nice looking piece of kit, but i think the fans may run a bit slower and therefore quieter if i could run Cool n Quiet

7. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

I just went through 3 tech support guys and the 4th one says hes gonna call me back in a couple of minutes. According to them everything is set right and they havent been able to help me at all so maybe anyone with an asus a8n-e or a8ne-sli/deluxe/premium can help me out

8. bobbyk

bobbyk Big Geek

Cool n' Quiet is for MSI Boards, ASUS has AI-NOS. They work the same way, more or less. As i stated, Core Cell will slow down your CPU at start up. You don't have to do anything if your system is set up right. Here's how you can verify if Cool n' Quiet is working: Run the Core Cell application in full window (it's weird-looking). Now, run a very CPU/Graphics intensive application. Watch how Core Cell actually adjusts the CPU multiplier and clock rates to boost performance. It sometimes reaches Clock X17 in my system. The Fan also increases or decreases speed, but make sure Smart Fan control is disbaled in BIOS.

9. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

Well will the overclocking that AI nos or core cell do any damage to system life or any components.

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

if you've got good cooling then overclocking isnt really a problem, i mean small overclocks, if you decide to squeeze your system until it blows then well yes, but a small overclock with good cooling shouldnt do any significant damage to components.

11. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

Matt if i get something like an arctice cooler freezer 4/w AS5 an oclock from 2.2 to 2.4 wouldnt really do any damage to my system. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186123 is this cooler any good, or is it worth the extra 12 bucks or so to go up to the freezer 4. Usually the extra 12 bucks wouldnt be a problem but im tight for money and my parents are paying for anything elso on this computer, so is the freeezer 4 that much better.

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

well the freezer 4 isnt for amd CPU's but they do do the freezer model for those sockets, with some AS5 you're sorted (thats what i've got freezer 4+AS5)
    what are your current temps?

13. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

14. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah i know they make it in an amd socket 939 version but its got a slightly different name, its called Freezer 64 instead of a Freezer 4, just a minor difference. i did say in my previous post they make it for amd sockets.
    with the AS5 and the Freezer64 you should be fine for a 2.2-2.4 Overclock. just do it gradually as with all overclocking.

15. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

Oh ok. Are the AFreezers very loud, cause im actually redoing my whole cooling sytem buying 4 new case fans (3 80mm 1 120mm) that have lower DBA ratings and good CFM.

16. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i'm not sure what the dBA rating of the Freezer is, they say it has a level of 1 sone..but i have no idea what that means, mine is very quiet, the only thing that makes noise in my case is my PSU and that gets louder by the day (its on its last legs)
    i think the Freezer series is just such a great cooling solution, willhub has the freezer 4 as well he may want to comment as well, Exfoliate likes Arctic cooling generally so they'll get praise from him...

17. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

Got one more question. On my HSF i think the fan is blowing the air onto the CPU, cause when i put my hand right next to the fan i can fell it suck. Should it face the other way or is it right.

18. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah the fan is meant to blow air onto the heat sink rather than suck it away from it, its more effective to blow it onto the heatsink.

Girtho961 likes this.
  19. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

20. Matt555

Matt555 iMod