Anti-virus telling lies?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by daisycutter, Jul 23, 2006.

1. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

hello,

i was on the web downloading something the other day when McAfee anti virus alerted me it had found a virus. it also said it couldnt clean it or delte it or quarantine it as it may be write protected. i clicked cancel as i couldnt get the dialogue box to dissappear and when i rescanned ii couldnt find the virus at all. i also installed avast antivirus as well to do a scan and that also reported no virus , apart from some archive files it couldnt scan as they were password protected.

whats going on? wheres the virus gone?

also, ive never password protected any files on my computer before.. could it be this achived files avast couldnt scan is a result of the virus?

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Try to run your AV in the SafeMode.

3. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

im not too sure what u mean.. cant seem to find a safe mode option in avast. do u mean safe mode in windows?

4. Karanislove

Yup! Safe mode in windows.

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Are you running two AV's at the same time? I would get rid of McAfee and use
    Avast.. Running Two AV's at startup will make your computer very Unhappy:O
    Also what where you trying to download?

6. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

is using two AVs bad? i heard it was better than one. i was trying to download a torrent file. i ve since scaned the HD in safe mode and still nothing...

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Using two AV's is not a good idea, They will most likely conflict with each other.
    remove one of them, and see what happens.. Also those torrent files can be
    dangerous.

8. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

ive removed one of the anti virus programs and will rescan. also, how are torrents files dangerous? im new to downloading torrents, so any warnings are apprecieated. thanks

9. Karanislove

I would suggest you to go through [link=http://www.hardwareforums.com/windows-xp-security-guide-9738/]Windows XP security Guide[/link] and there will be lot more things which gets clear after reading it. It will take just 5mins to go through.......

10. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

yeah, ive already read that before, and it is very informative. still havent found my virus yet. oh well, i can always pray!

11. dumluck

dumluck Geek Trainee

Not sure if you did this already, did you run AV in Windows Safe mode yet? This should ensure there is no virus. Also, it's not a bad idea to run Anti-Spyware software(Spybot or AdAware, both would be nice).
    I have seen AV show a "false positive" when spyware is installed into the computer...

12. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

ive run it in safemode windows and also antispyware programs, still nothing. but thanks to everyone for their suggestions.:D