Antivirus problem

Discussion in 'General Software' started by QuiPetMonDe, Apr 12, 2011.

1. QuiPetMonDe

QuiPetMonDe Geek

Basically i remote connected to my girlfriends laptop running xp and installed avira because she thought a virus was on the computer.
    There was virus software installed but it wasnt running at the time (not in the task manager or in the system tray).

So i thought it would be ok to go ahead and install avira and do a scan. I installed, updated, scanned, then checked the boxes to look for root kits etc and did a full scan, almost 200+ .exe files appeared, not to mention alot of directories for the registry (which were ignored in the quarantine), everything else was quarantined fine, the c:\Documents and Settings\user\userdata (or application data) directories had the majority of hits.

However, after this completed and the objects were quarantined, the system had to restart. After the restart, she had no internet icons on the system try (the wireless icon and the ethernet icon with the two screens) never appeared, and there were 3 error messages one from the original antivirus software (f-secure) and another from windows and another from team viewer (the software i used to remote in).

I dont know these errors as she cant send them too me.

Is it possible the avira scan quantined some important files needed for these utilities and software?

Is there anyway to reverse what i did with the quarantined bits?

I need help as urgently as possible.

If i uninstall avira will the files return to their original place? Is there an other reason for the system fail?

Thanks

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

I wouldn't go and reverse the issue if i were you. You might cause more damage. Most viruses are stay located in "Internet Temporary Files", which is just around where you pointed out earlier, in "c:\Documents and Settings\user\userdata\...". What you need to do is run a heavy cleanup and update. The start up errors are there because Windows is trying to start up items that Avira just removed, which were most likely the viruses. Lets begin:
    1. Download ccleaner.
    2. Run it.
    3. Analyze and perform a clean.
    4. Next, go to "registry" and perform a clean. Make sure you backup the clutter (it will prompt you).
    5. Next, go to the "tools" option, select "startup", and remove any item you don't know. Leave Avira and other drivers there.
    This should nicely clean out your clutter.

Now, you need to reinforce your system. Get peerblock. This is like a firewall. Get firefox or chrome, because IE sucks. And use Windows Update.

Also, because Avira might have removed drivers, download the latest drivers for your motherboard.

3. QuiPetMonDe

QuiPetMonDe Geek

Thanks for the quick reply.

Well i agree with what you said and the information is great, however i think a reverse is necessary at this point. You see there were no real problems before i did this so the 'virus' werent any real threat, i just want to reverse because i cant go and download the drivers, i cant see her screen and she isnt very computer literate.

Also the computer belongs to her mother and her mother would go crazy if she found out its not working, its difficult to explain the situation and fix it when i cant be at the computer to do so. :S

4. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

I would still try my steps before you move on to a restore. Sometimes, it doesn't help and time is wasted. Let us know what happens!

5. Michael Condor

Michael Condor Geek

TO MUCH DIGING !!!! :) LOL
    Delete your antivirus ,
    install AVG free . it's a great software , without any headache ....

6. SofiaBrown

SofiaBrown Geek Trainee

By installing free version of avast! software, you will get real-time monitoring, scheduled scanning and an integrate web shield for your computer and make it virus free.

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I will agree, Avast is One of the best Anti virus you can get now days for free...

8. Shaun

Shaun Guest

Microsoft security essentials is an ultimate virus and spyware killer. As it is fullly compatible with windows, it keeps the system out of threatening viruses. Just keep it up to date.

Furhter download the task manager and free registry cleaning softwares. Try to keep your registry items clean.

Sniper and cube_ like this.
  9. Michael Condor

Michael Condor Geek

Hi PPL i'm back after some time i haven't being here ...
    so , let's just say that the best Anti-Virus i know is AVG free ,
    it has never let me down , it has an update in time to time ,
    it has a good GUI , and i'm very pleased with this ...
    This is my recommandation , if you wanna use it , you could ,
    if not , well , you don't have to do that ,
    thank you for your time ,
    Have a nice Day / Night / Evening / Noon / ( What so ever ) ...