any recomendation for parts for new machine?

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by stefan1988, Jul 14, 2005.

1. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

though newegg in some cases is dramatically overpriced, they had my video card at my buying time for 40$ more than zzf. but newegg is also very good at its service, zzf and newegg should be your tops

stefan1988 likes this.
  2. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

well guys a friend came with a suggestion that i should get a a 3800 newcastle chip from amd he said that the chip is way better than a 3700 san diego im kind of late in news and stuff haven't read much about computers in a long time :taste:

is there a big difference between companies when choosing on a graphics card like i saw lots of companies almost same price for 7800 so dont know which one to pick :(

i decided to give a try to newegg you're guys are right is kind of hard looking for parts on various sites and some sites don't have the stuff so i went to others and they dont have some stuff

3. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

just keep in mind its mostly about the clock speeds, the san diego is a revised and corrected core, and the 3700 has a 1 megabyte L2cache, when the 3800 has 1/2 of that

just use pricegrabber to give you an overview over the stores which carry your product

stefan1988 likes this.
  4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

There is very little difference in the speed between the 3800 Newcastle and the 3700 SanDiego, the only reason the 3800 wins is out of higher clock speeds, which can easily be changed with some modest overclocking. The SanDiego chips overclock much further than the Newcastle ones so in the end the 3700 is a better value though both are still nice cards.
    If they're all the same price and specs then just buy the coolest looking card, or the one that comes with the best games:good:, the only brand I'd stay away from is Rosewill, they're not bad but the coolers are cheesy and will probably burn out on you if you overclock even 100Mhz.

stefan1988 likes this.
  5. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea the San Diego core is great. Go for it, it is way better than any of the other cores. As far as Rosewell, yea staqy away from them, go with eVGA or Sapphire, depending on the card type.

stefan1988 likes this.
  6. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

ok I heard that maxtors drives are really bad I heard like from 7 people
    is that true? if it is worth paying a little more for better hard drives i don't mind

my dad don't like it
    my friends don't like it
    a guy my dad works with has trouble with them all the time

also what about the mobo I was comparing them
    the major difference I saw on the DFI is the front side bus is 2000mhz and on the asus is 1000 so how much difference does that make like in speed and in games?

i saw another difference the audio but i don't really care about audio i got an audigy card 2 card i going to put on the new computer

7. Addis

Addis The King

Maxtor drives are known to have reliability problems although I've never used them. But if thats their rep then might as well go for a very high quality brand like Seagate or Western Digital. Both are high performance but still priced well.

stefan1988 likes this.
  8. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea WD is very good, and if you want a compromise, get Hitachi, I have used them and had no problems.

stefan1988 likes this.
  9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

That's what I have, drive has been perfect so far:good:

stefan1988 likes this.
  10. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Wait, do you have Hitachi, WD, or Maxtor?

11. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

heh, sorry, Hitachi, the last one you listed:p, as for the DFI/ASUS difference I think the 1000 has a x2 multiplyer or something so it's effectivly 2000, doesn't really make much difference either way though.

stefan1988 likes this.
  12. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

I have two Maxtor Plus9s (diamondmax, on raid zero and they did awesome on benchmarking)

yeah the fsb is commonly 1000 but has a multiplier on two, but I'd recommend the Asus, unless you want to do a hell lot of overclocking, its still a tight race, but in that aspect Dfi would win, as for features, ASUS kills

stefan1988 likes this.
  13. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea the Asus would definately beat the DFI in everything other than OCing. But if you need that hardocre of a bord then you would need way more hardcore components.

stefan1988 likes this.
  14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

What does ASUS have that DFI doesn't?

stefan1988 likes this.
  15. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

The included software is head and shoulders above DFI.

stefan1988 likes this.
  16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Sorry, how so? Can't be overclocking utilities or anything.

stefan1988 likes this.
  17. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Just features and ease of use.

stefan1988 likes this.
  18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Good enough then, thanks.

stefan1988 likes this.
  19. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

welll guys thanks for the help if I have any trouble on the future i would let you know ;)
    maybe i get some 3dmark score or something ;) to let you know how good machine is

thanx for help :good:

i pressed the thanks button on all of you :)

20. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

Not to go off topic, but is 5012 a good stock score for a pciex16 6800GT, not overclocked, unlocked?