Aol dialup for linux

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Runner7775, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

i have an old celeron 433 mhz computer with 512 ram and it run slow as crap on dial up (even compared to my 2.0 ghz laptop). I wanted to dual boot the already existing windows xp with ubuntu (which is pretty snappy on there). i want to be able to access the internet with ubuntu but i need a dialer. First of all i want to ask what the best aol dialer is and secondly i want to know how to get all the packages to that computer since it wont have an internet connection. I see that many packages have dependencies. how will i round tham all up to install them? any help appreciated thanks

2. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

The best I can suggest for you, as far as the packages go, is to take it over to a friends house or something, put it on their network, and get it all nice and set up. As far as your dialer, I don't know of one, I dont think AOL supports linux, and they go far out of their way to make sure that you have to use their software to use their connection. So you have the options of either WINEing your aol dialer for windows, or finding something to send the same information as the win AOL dialer, but I'm sure that's a violation of AOL's TOS.

3. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

For an AOL dialer see here and here.

AOL does not officially support linux but they do have a beta version of AIM for download. No reason to do this though because Kopete and Pidgin are light years ahead of AIM.

4. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

Theres pidgin for windows, also, which is an awesome program. Much better than Gaim for windows was. So anyway, I thought the AOL dialer did something wierd like encrypting your username/password when making the dialup connection, or sending another chunk of data to verify that it was valid. I remember MSN didnt, so you could just config your OS's dialer to connect to your MSN acct, which was much better. I hate being forced into using proprietary software.

5. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

yeah ive heard of ping aol and some others but i dont think ican transport the computer too much i will check out the links thanks

6. Addis

Addis The King

GAIM and Pidgin are essentially the same thing, except GAIM was an earlier version until they changed the name due to legal pressure from AOL.

7. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

Yeah, that's right, but they fixed one major bug when it switched from gaim to pidgin. In gaim if you had your mouse over someones name, and it popped up the little tooltip of more info for that user, then you alt-tabbed to a different program that tooltip would stay on the screen. That really bugged me. Also I think pidgin looks a lot nicer.