Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro worse than stock cooler!?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Zenskas, May 18, 2009.

1. Zenskas

Zenskas Geek Trainee

G'day guys, this is my first post here so be nice :)

I am no noob when it comes to hardware and am a regular user of MSFN forums but decided I should sign up for a hardware forum as that is what I am most interested in. I have a slight problem to start out with :D

A few days ago I bought an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro to replace the stock cooler on my C2D E7300 2.66Ghz. I removed the cooler and cleaned the CPU off with q-tips and metho then installed the freezer 7 pro (which has MX-2 TIM already applied) and booted up.

The fan is a PWM fan and runs at around 1000-1800RPM most of the time. It seems as quiet at idle and quieter at load than my stock cooler, however when I looked at the temps, my CPU was running slightly hotter! It went from around 33C at idle to about 36C. At load it is about the same but I expected much better performance from a heatsink three times bigger than the stock one!

So I went about trying to make it run cooler so I could overclock it in the near future. I took it back off and cleaned the MX-2 TIM off the CPU and heatsink. I then applied Arctic Silver 5 as I thought this might get the idle temps below 30C. I was wrong. Temps stayed roughly the same. Went up a few degrees at idle and is running at a fan speed of 1500RPM (about twice the speed of the stock cooler at idle...although it is still just as quiet).

So I then went on to lower the voltage on the CPU in a desperate attempt to at least see the temps lower. I lowered the CPU down about 0.15V and the north and south bridge down 0.1V each. Still absolutely no difference. I am now wondering what is left to do? I do not want to lap the heatsink as I do not think that will help (both cores in my CPU run within 1 to 2C of each other). Would going and reapplying the TIM again but in a different way help? (when I put the AS5 on I put a very small ball of it in the middle of the CPU heat spreader) The room temp of my house is not very high (way under 20C, probably around 15C - I live the lowest state of Australia where it does not get very hot and it is winter right now)

Any ideas would be appreciated :cool:

Just in case you are wondering, I have a relatively decent case (a foxconn ATX midi tower of some sort) a good rear case fan (120mm coolermaster silent LED running at about 1100RPM), a good power supply (Antec true power 2.0 430W), and only one hard drive plus a Geforce 9600GT. And my motherboard has heatsinks all over the CPU MOSFET area (gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4P). Thanks for any help in advance!

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

where have you got the temp readings from? bios or speedfan? have you placed it correctly? making sure it's quite firm and not loose? other than that dude can only think of it being a false reading expecially going from stock cooling to aftrer market heatsinks, generally they make a big difference.

3. Zenskas

Zenskas Geek Trainee

I am using the bios (only for idle temp), gigabyte easy tune 6, real temp 3.00, and core temp to get the same basic readings for both the stock and freezer 7 pro.
    It is fairly firm and the TIM really glues it on so it is even hard to take back off! I can however tilt it left to right a little. Maybe changing the direction of the cooler might help? Instead of blowing out the back, do you think blowing up through the power supplies fan might make a difference? Worth a try?
    Thanks for your advice so far.