ATI HD 5770 worth buying for $105?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Corey S, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Corey S

Corey S Geek Trainee

I just found an XFX HD 5770 on newegg for $130 (25$ mail in rebate) was just wondering if thats a good price for that card, or is there a better card I can get for $130?

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Great card, great price. The only card i found to beat its specs was the GTX550, beaten here. ATI beat the GTX at Texel Rate (anisotropic filtering). ATI has pci-e 2.1 as opposed to the 2.0 version the GTX has, but this has nothing to do with speed... only functionality management. I would go for the 550 if i had an extra $10. Otherwise, falling back on a 5770 is still a great buy.

3. Corey S

Corey S Geek Trainee

okay thank you. one more question.. do you think ill have problems with bottlenecking? i only have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.7ghz (5200+), and 4 gigs of ram.. i am also buying a new power supply at the same time as the video card.. i am looking into upgrading my CPU soon, but I might need a new mobo.. not sure yet.. its only a 95 watt, AM2+ socket. idk if they are anything worth upgrading too with that.. but this might be the wrong section of the forum to ask that question

4. Corey S

Corey S Geek Trainee

keep in mind im running at low resolution.. i have a small monitor,so i wouldnt even be running it at high res.. im also looking into buying a new monitor.. but im using a onboard nvidia 8100.. so i need a vid card bad..

5. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Regarding your bottleneck question, there is no such thing as a bottleneck relationship between a CPU and GPU. They are both independent in relation to speed and functionality. However, an Athlon 64 X2 is quite outdated and an upgrade would definitely give you better gaming performance.
    4GB is quite enough memory unless you plan on playing games while editing movies at the same time, which i doubt you'll be doing.

Make sure your new PSU is capable of running your current specs + the new GPU. Use the PSU calculator in my sig.

6. Corey S

Corey S Geek Trainee

7. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

8. Corey S

Corey S Geek Trainee

okay, one more thing.. do you know of an processors that are 95watt, that are for AM2+? is it true you can fit AM3 into AM2+ socket

9. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Yes, AM3's do fit into AM2+ sockets. All these AM3 processors are 95W. I couldn't find any AM2+ using 95W, although they do exist.

The main difference between AM3 and AM2+ is that AM3 supports DDR3 memory.

10. Corey S

Corey S Geek Trainee

do I have to do anything special to get an AM3 to work in a AM2+? do you think i should upgrade my processor? or do you think i should wait till i get a new motherboard to get that.. this is what my mobo supports..

CPU SUPPORT

• AMD Phenom™ II X4 Processor
    • AMD Phenom™ II X3 Processor
    • AMD Phenom™ X4 Processor
    • AMD Phenom™ X3 Processor
    • AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core Processor
    • AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor
    • AMD Athlon™ 64 FX Processor
    • AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor
    • AMD Sempron™ Processor
    • Maximum CPU TDP (Thermal Design Power) : 95Watt

11. Corey S